It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: George's Clubhouse Wax
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:16 pm 

LaVieestBelle wrote:Both positions (make it yourself/just buy the darn jar!) have merit, depending on your style. Though I may run off and check out T. J. Maxx....

So why, in the ad for the George's Clubhouse Wax, is there the State of California warning about birth defects and cancer? Is it a petroleum issue?

I think it's a case of CYA on the part of Woodcraft. The applicable part of Proposition 65 states:

Buffing Compounds & Finishing Products:
California requires the following notice on buffing compounds & finishing products that contain progesterone:
WARNING: This product may contain progesterone, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. Consult with your physician before using this product.

I really doubt that there is any progesterone in beeswax or mineral oil, but considering the litigiousness of the bottom-feeding lawyers nowadays, it's always best to err on the side of caution.

(My apologies to the honest, ethical lawyers in America. Both of them.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:52 pm 

Tall Dark and Swarfy wrote:Having lived in California and now returning on a regular basis I can say that those warnings are so ubiquitous that they have lost all meaning. But the reason is probably the mineral oil.

Bingo!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:14 pm 

I use coconut oil and beeswax. 1 part beeswax to 5 parts coconut oil (by weight). Heat in small sauce pan, on low, completely melt and stir. carefully pour on board than start rubbing by hand. Depending on room temp. this may start to solidify on you. Keep rubbing by hand, than take paper towel rub of excess.
Let set couple hours and do again, take hair dryer, and blow on oil as hand rubbing it in. Do not get board HOT. Just want hairdryer to keep liquid and to help mixture soak in.

You can adjust this ratio to anything you want, try this ratio than go from there.

Wipe excess, you should do this on top, bottom and sides. This will take time. When you are done you will have a nearly waterproof board. you will find a damp towel will clean your board very easily.

Watch board and as it's color lightens, I use just use straight coconut oil to keep it well oiled, than when feel boards need it I redo the beeswax, coconut oil routine.

I very rarely bring my boards to the sink, and when I do I quickly rinse with hot water(my water gets 160 degrees) than scrub with a soapy sponge, than rinse, and immediatly turn on side and dry complete board, I never immerse my boards in water, and keep contact with running water to a minimum.

I always wait at least 24 hours from water on my boards to putting oil on boards, to allow any surface moisture out.

Both beeswax and coconut oil have anti- bacterial, and anti-viral properties. Based on reading earlier thread about testing boards for bacteria, and bacteria found in boards, I feel very comfortable with my cutting boards and my oiling and waxing and cleaning habits.

I am a home cook, so.................;)
Daniel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:31 am 
Forum Moderator

When you go to the coffee shop , they warn you the coffee is carcinogenic. Same with lots of stores, etc etc -'harmful to the state of California, etc etc'.. Can't smoke within 30 feet of a building and LOTS of places have 30 feet marked off. Can't park more than 18 inches from a curb. Can't own a blowgun or darts, can't carry a fixed blade knife inside your pockets (concealed) and in some cities if it is exposed it is 'brandishing a weapon'. Laws made by unthinking legislators to regulate unthinking people. And gun laws are a complete mess.

Mineral oil is a laxative so it can't be too bad for you in small doses, not the whole bottle. And beeswax is in all sorts of cosmetics. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you brew your own, it is safest over a double boiler. I have done it in a microwave. If it is smoking, it is about to go up in flames, so be safe! Once made you can remake it, adding more beeswax to make it harder or more mineral oil to make is less viscous, so you can fine tune the 'brew' from candle hard to almost as fluid as mineral oil.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:37 am 

otkonot wrote:I use coconut oil and beeswax. 1 part beeswax to 5 parts coconut oil (by weight). Heat in small sauce pan, on low, completely melt and stir. carefully pour on board than start rubbing by hand. Depending on room temp. this may start to solidify on you. Keep rubbing by hand, than take paper towel rub of excess.
Let set couple hours and do again, take hair dryer, and blow on oil as hand rubbing it in. Do not get board HOT. Just want hairdryer to keep liquid and to help mixture soak in.

Hi Daniel,

They say you're not supposed to use food-based oils on boards/wood because it can go rancid—this is why mineral oil is usually recommended. I'm wondering if your boards ever develop a noticeable or changing smell (besides coconut), or if you've never experienced any issues whatsoever. I don't meant to critique—I'm genuinely curious!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:55 am 

Coconut is at least the longest lasting of any cooking oils used. I would only ever use mineral oil myself though. Typically coconut oil can stay good for 3-4 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:37 am 

Hey Joe,
I've never had any issues with coconut oil. I have one board I have been using coconut oil on for over 3 years. I feel comfortable with it. We will see, down the road.
I cook with a lot of garlic and onions, my boards remain odor free, I am happy with them and the coconut oil.

I would suggest that if you are interested, that you google coconut oil. It is very much in the news. There is a tremendous amount of excitement about the possibility of it being used against Alzihmers(sp). Researchers continue to find benefits of coconut oil use.
Daniel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:04 pm 

A little ot, but I just taught a cooking class that was all vegan and gluten free (challenging since I like meat and wheat). Used the coconut oil for a chocolate torte dessert and it was not too bad. All the better if it will hold off the Alzheimers!

Back to topic, I only use mineral oil because of the fear of potential rancidity with any food-based oil. Even coconut. As long as the mineral oil is food safe, it's the go-to oil.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2