It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:48 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Gathering my supplies - Beginner***
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:40 pm 

Hello everyone, new here! Ok, I just recently purchased this knife: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/misono6.html
So far I absolutely love the knife, wickedly sharp :twisted: Though I am now looking into getting some stones to keep my knife sharp. I fillet whole fish (all shapes and sizes) and require a sharp knife.

My first question is, right now my knife is sharp but once it starts to loose its edge what grit should i use? I've been looking at the chosera 1000. Is 1000 grit too abrasive for carbon steel?
Id prefer to sharpen often to keep a sharp edge, than have to work with a semi sharp knife.
I figured I'd need a finishing stone and heard great things about the kitayama 8000. I cut fish in front of customers so I'd like to keep my knife shiny and figured 8000 would not only finish the edge well but also clean up the scratches, am I misinformed about this?

I am also looking to purchase the plate/holder combo: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/xxcdiplandun.html
Is this all I would need? Thanks for helping this noob out :D

Post subject: Re: Gathering my supplies - Beginner***
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:21 pm 

I like the holder/DMT its always good when starting out or whenever to have flat stones

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcset.html

This is a good set but if you are just looking for 2 stones a coarse stone is not that important when first starting and they are a little less forgiving since they cut a lot faster

1k is fine to start on whichever one you prefer I have heard nothing but praise for the Shapton 1200

as for a finisher I do not know much about the Kitayama 8000 but have heard the Suehiro Rika in that set I linked above has received great feedback from a lot of people here

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Z - The goal of maintaining a good knife is usually to remove as little metal as possible over time, thus prolonging the useful lifetime of the blade. This is especially true of your Hankotsu, since it's not a tall blade in the first place.

The 3 main maintenance methods in between sharpening sessions, are:

1) Stropping (edge trailing strokes) on a medium such as cow, horse, or kangaroo leather, balsa, hard felt, or nano cloth. You can use these with or without some kind of abrasive compound to enhance the cutting action of the stropping medium. A great kit that Mark put together is this 3x11 base and 3x11 horse butt leather strop: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/2piecestropset.html.

2) Using a honing rod such as this Idahone Fine Ceramic rod: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/id12cerodwna.html. A good ole' grooved steel is not really appropriate for your knife.

3) Stropping strokes or light edge leading strokes on a fine grit finishing stone, either dry or wet (wet works better).

Stropping is generally more gentle to your edges and a rod or steel, but if used correctly a fine ceramic rod can be a great tool for quick, easy maintenance.

When your edges no longer respond to one of the above 3 methods, then it's usually time for a sharpening session starting on your 1K stone and finishing on your higher grit stone(s).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:49 pm 

Stropping to bring your edge back is a great idea especially for a knife like the hankotsu to extend its lifetime and not remove a lot of steel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:29 pm 

Thanks for the responses! The ceramic rod pretty much is a 1200 grit ceramic stone? So extend the life of my edge with the rod and then when that no longer holds it, move to the 1000 stone and finishing stone, correct?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:38 pm 

Yes use the rod to bring your edge back to SHARP then when that no longer works time to hit the stones 1k to Finisher whichever ones you choose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:16 pm 

Charcuterie wrote:Yes use the rod to bring your edge back to SHARP then when that no longer works time to hit the stones 1k to Finisher whichever ones you choose

Got it, thanks! So you would recommend the 1k for a carbon steel? Im only asking because I was told carbon is easier to sharpen, so i don't want to make more work for myself if I can get away with, say, 2k instead of 1k, or is 1k the best for getting the sharp edge?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:23 pm 

1k will be a fine starting place

or the Bestor 1200 gets good reviews

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:13 am 

Maybe I'm missing something but you have linked a boning knife. If this is the knife you have then it's edge geometry is not one that is set up for being a high polished slicer. The edge angles of these knives are obtuse and best sharpened to a medium grit.

As for the stones,

The 8k can be used after the 1K to good effect.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:19 am 

I own the misono hankotsu and I would NEVER use a steel or rod to bring back the edge, the geometry does not lend itself to steeling. I only ever strop this knife to maintain an edge. I prefer the edge off of a suehiro rika than an 8k but that's just me, it takes a nice edge off of my gesshin 8k so personal preference comes into play.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next