It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fujiwara FKM or Tojiro DP: confused by profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:07 pm 

I have nailed down my first major knife purchase to either Fujiwara FKM or Tojiro DP but i am confused on the blade profile. Fujiwara is 70/30 and Tojiro is 50/50. is one better than the other? there is a nice video on youtube of a Tojiro gyuto slicing a tomato that is sitting on a counter. thats what i want. i am assuming the Fujiwara will do the same thing.

which of these two knives will hold the edge better.

i also need to consider sharpening. i have never sharpened a knife so i will be exploring that also. i have read about the different stones but tojiro also has a sharpener. is that worth using?

i am looking to purchase an 8" Gyuto, 6" utility (petty) and 3" paring.

Your help is appreciated

Post subject: Re: Fujiwara FKM or Tojiro DP: confused by profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

This set is ideal for you: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro3pcset.html. It's got exactly those 3knives and you save $ on the set.

I suggest starting with the Idahone fine ceramic rod for tough ups: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/id12cerodwna.html.

Forget the Tojiro sharpener, get a water stone or two and learn to sharpen. You'll never have dull knives again. This is a great setup: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/4pcshstset.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:40 pm 

thank you for your reply. thats the set i was looking at from Tojiro but i am also looking at Fujiwara but the blade profile has me confused. 70/30 vs 50/50.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

The actual blade geometry on both lines is 50/50. The edge bevels may not be exactly 50/50, but that's really not an issue at all. When you get to the point of sharpening the knives, you can easily grind more on one side if needed to create a 50/50 edge bevel. They shouldn't steer at all OOTB. Personally, I prefer the feel of the Tojiro DP Gyuto versus the FKM. They're both great entry level knife lines.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:57 pm 

Thank you Steve. i had thought i read somewhere that Fujiwara was 70/30. but if the bevel can be altered by sharpening then its not big deal. i have also read a lot of debate on the different types of steel each one uses. is there one you prefer over the other. i know you said you liked the Tojiro because of the feel but are you also satisfied with the steel?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:32 pm 

+1 on what SteveG said.

I think most give the Tojiro a slight nod over the Fuji. Nothing against the Fuji.

Re: 70/30 and 50/50, I asked around when I was buying my last gyuto because it was a 70/30, I am left handed and was worried. Someone at another site said that there would be a noticeable performance difference at 70/30 vs. 50/50 but that I could move the bevel to 70/30 lefty. Sounded a little fishy so I continued to ask around. Mark from CKTG gave me the soundest advice - he'd be happy to move the edge to 70/30 lefty for $20, but why not just use it and see if there is a problem? So I did. And there is no issue. I have been moving back to 50/50 as I sharpen it, and it performs no worse - actually performs much better than OOTB since I am taking the edge through much higher grits than the factory did.

If you like the 70/30 righty, you can keep it by sharpening it in a certain manner - there are a number of tutorials online that discuss and show you how to. Or you can move it back towards 50/50.

The Tojiro is clad (san mai). VG10 between softer SS. The Fuji is some type of proprietary stainless, and website doesn't say if solid (mono steel) or clad. I'd bet the Fuji SS is not too far off from VG/VG 10. The Tojiro is heat treated a big higher 59-59 vs. 60. Keep in mind that the step ups in HRC scale are not equal. I don't see any issue moving the 70/30 to 50/50, or even 70/30 left.

By steel, do you mean steel in knife, or sharpening steel? If knives, these knives are gonna feel real similar. Might get a slightly muted feel Tojiro because it is SS clad, and it might feel a bit 'softer', but I doubt the differences will be anything other than subtle. If you are talking sharpening steel, you should be looking at ceramic hones IMHO. Idahone ceramic hone to be specific.

Last edited by socalboo on Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:39 pm 

The bevel is 70/30 on the Fujiwara. It is a non issue despite how it may sound. It cuts identically. It never steered on me. It concerned me before buying. Never after. When you learn how to sharpen it won't be difficult at all to maintain, or to just grind it 50/50.

I wouldn't let this determine which you choose. And, as before I would recommend the Fujiwara for you, on account of the slightly more forgiving steel. Pretty sure Fujiwara is mono steel AUS8a. It's just fine, and as you're a beginner coming from much lower quality knives I think it'd be better for you. Not saying tojiro is chippy, but I've certainly heard of more of them chipping than Fujiwara fkm. And...it's just a sweet knife. Light, thin, I think you'll be very impressed. By either of course though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:45 pm 

In my opinion, the biggest difference between the two is thickness.

The steels are both good, not great, quality stainless steels. Both have good fit and finish, with maybe a small advantage to the Tojiro. They have similar profiles and are both western handled. But they are quite different in thickness.

The Tojiro is thicker and a bit heavier. The Tojiro is still lighter than the typical Wustof/Henckel, but is a more incremental move away from this style of knife. The Fujiwara is closer to other Japanese cutlery in terms of being thinner and lighter.

It is largely personal preference which would appeal to you more. The Fujiwara will feel sharper and be less fatiguing, in my experience, due to being thinner and lighter. The Tojiro on the other hand, may actually feel easier to use because there is extra mass to do the work for you. I also find while the Tojiro wedges quite a bit, it is almost sticktion free. There is so much convex food is pushed away from the blade very well.

In general, I think the Fujiwara is a more daring step toward typical Japanese cutlery. Though something like the Kaneshige might be more daring yet: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kakn2.html. The Tojiro, on the other hand, is ideal for someone who likes the western style knife well enough, but wants better steel and performance, at a comparable price.

Hope that helps. Have fun!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:44 am 

You could reset the profile easily by sharpening it. That said, the two makers have differences.

The others have put it well, I don't feel the need to blast you with the same post over again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:15 am 

I feel Fujiwara has the better knives and would start there, I'll leave it at that. I'm sure you are overwhelmed already.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next