It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: From oil to water
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:19 pm 

I have seen in some posts that some Arka. stone can be slow cutting stones, I tend to think that I have some slow stones, then again could be the steel in the knives I have -Target bought Henckels for the most part. So I was thinking of trying out add some HA .1 diamond spray to the stones to help with the cutting processes. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've used Boron carbide spray and powder on black arkansas stones with good effects. Still not near a Shapton, Chosera or Sigma stone, but much faster.

Keith from Hand American should be able to help with these questions. He knows more about Arkansas stones than anybody I know. IIRC that's how his business started. By using ground up Arkansas stones. may be wrong here, but it was something along these lines.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Diamond sprays on stones work. The 1 micron HA spray would be the way to go on your black ark. I would also highly recommend a dmt slurry plate for the stone. It's cheap and works well getting the ball rolling on the hard arkansas.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmtsmdiplfor.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:37 am 
Forum Moderator

My advise is to keep your Ark stones separate from your waterstones. Oil on waterstones is death to your waterstones. Your Surgical and translucent Ark stones are ~ 2k waterstones - 3k would be generous.

Consider starting out with a harder stone more similar in feel to your Surgical Black. Consider the Nubatama UME 1k hard stone:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nuumeha.html This stone is particularly nice with carbon steels.

or a Shapton 1k - either GlassStone or Pro as excellent choices.

The hard Nubatama Ume 1k mentioned above will also work quite nicely with your woodworking tools as well.

Once you get a feel for the 1k waterstone, you can then consider the coarser stones to replace the Washita and soft Ark type stones - something in the 220 or so grit range - and then later going to a finer stone as finances permit.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:31 am 
Forum Moderator

Another way to get the oil out of arky's and I have a little experience with them is to believe it or not boil them it will pull the oil out in no time and than give them a run through the dishwasher, learned this trick many many moons ago and after most of the oil is out take a wire brush some bkf or Ajax cleanser and give them a good scrub. U will probably get most of the oil out useing this procedure after that I would use my arky's dry which I have been doing for years and receiving better results. O how do u get the discoloration off? Once again bkf, wire brush and let dry on a old towel. Works every time. And p.s. I rarely I mean rarely go from arky's to whetstones. Doesn't seem to flow riite in the scheme of things. Peace jmbullman Just for reference I own the arky's from the washita all the way to the transluicent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:02 am 
Forum Moderator

Nice post, James! Very informative.

I've been playing around with the Ark stones a bit lately. What works VERY nicely to get more aggression out of them is the 4.5 micron CBN. This is a grit just slightly finer than the stone itself which typically yield a finish in the 3k or so range. Tenth micron is just too fine to make an appreciable difference and even 1 micron is still not as aggressive as the 4.5 micron CBN. Much finer doesn't seem to yield an appreciably different edge, although it does slightly improve it because the finer CBN at least does something against the harder steels with Vanadium, etc in them.

I guess if you are keeping the Ark stones oil based, you could use the CBN paste preparation on it, but since I use Ark. stones with water , I haven't personally tried this combination.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Good post ken,
My only worry is the oil would break down the cbn causing a less desired effect, what do u think on that, being that the cbn is water based I believe I could be wrong so correct me if necessary, but u and I know water don't mix and I would hate to see good cbn wasted, it works to well to try that experiment, I learned a long time ago from you my friend if it ain't broke don't attempt to change it. Peace bro, jmbullman

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2