It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:24 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 6 of 12 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Giveaway: What was your worst job?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:23 am 

(honey sucker) aka port-a-potty cleaner... imagine pulling up to one full to beyond the toilet seat nuf said.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:48 am 

Working in a restaurant in Java, Indonesia... illegally.

The Indonesian Government really frown upon foreigners working without a proper work visa, but to get one, you have to sign a year contract with your employer. Your employer then owns your visa, and pretty much owns YOU because you can't leave the country without your visa. Most employers are pretty shady, and once you sign that contract, they treat you like crap, give you crazy hours, and you pretty much have to suck it up until your contract is up. You belong to them!

The other option is to work for them illegally, get paid under the table, and usually still get treated like crap, but have the freedom to leave when you want. If you get caught by immigration, they'll lock you up in a room, threaten you plenty, and extort a couple thousand dollars US from you before deporting you. This is the route I went, working under the table. The restaurant I was working at got raided by immigration, in the middle of service, and I was quickly thrown into a locked closet for two hours while immigration searched the place. Didn't get caught, learned my lesson.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:48 am 

By no small margin--working for family.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:45 am 

The worst job I've ever had was the first kitchen I was in. A down home BBQ place, if your home was the Sysco warehouse; where only the salsa was made in house and without salt. I wasn't hired as a 'cook' per se, so I had to stand idly by and watch the 'pros' do their thing (read: sawing through tomatoes). One knife magnet full up; all Dexter-Russel knives that had become serrated from the V shaped carbide pull-through 'sharpener' that was used before every task. But again, I wasn't a 'cook' so what did my opinion matter?

Fast forward: two months into my next job and my new chef is telling me the importance of owning and properly maintaining my own knives. He let me use his stones, while I waited for my first to arrive from CKTG per his recommendation. Still got it, though my new knife rarely sees it. (Thanks Strop!)

And I lived happily ever after and never looked back, the end.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 am 

Worst job I ever had was being a roofer. We worked on some pretty nice houses some times, but usually not.
Our main client restored hundred years old houses. These houses had layers and layers of shingles. For good measure the last layer was always wooden shingles! We would have to work 8-10 hour days, 100 degree plus temperature weather, and covered completely in black soot. My buddy even fell through the wooden shingles into the third floor of one of the houses.

Gary II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:15 am 

Defense contractor is less than stellar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:32 pm 

Worked at a golf course during the summers of college. Work started at 4:45 in the AM which was not so fun. All I did was mow grass all day long. You have no idea how much grass there is at a golf course...

The free golf did not suck though :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:42 pm 

Teaching my wife how to hold, protect herself, and use knives -- losing her fear.
(Actually, it is still a ongoing job, it will be a life long achievement -- if I manage it)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

Putting down my last dog... ;(

I dug till I hit water.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:37 pm 

Since I had legally been able to work, I have worked in restaurant kitchens and have made a nice career out of it. However when I was 14, my father signed me up to work with a local farmer for a summer job. The farm was only a few miles from our house which I had to walk every day. The job started at about a cup of coffee after dawn. The first part of it was planting mums. A couple thousand of them. Unloading a trailer full of soil, one 50lb bag at a time. Then potting the seedlings. After every hundred I would then load them up on a flatbed. Once 300 were loaded up the farmer, whose ass never left the tractor seat, would then drive to the field. I walked because there was no room on the flatbed plus the farmer would hit every bump along the way causing a few of them to fall off each trip. The field was about 6 acres in size. They were resting the field so to keep stuff from growing on it they covered the whole damn thing with black plastic. The farmer wouldnt drive over the plastic so I had to unload the flatbed carrying 4 pots at a time from around the perimeter. I set all of the pots in rows as the farmer smoked cigarettes. Then I had to run the water lines and then plug water spikes into each pot.

That was the easy part. For the next couple of weeks as the flowers grew I worked loading and stacking hay bales. Two others and myself had 1000 acres of hay bales to pick up off the field and stack on a flatbed as the farmer pulled forward, and no, he never stopped. When the stack was 15ft high we then would take it somewhere on the farm to unload it and re-stack it. We did this every day from 1:00-5:00. Now I need to mention that this is in the piedmont of North Carolina. 98 degrees in the shade with about the same in humidity.

Now back to the flowers. I spent the rest of the summer sitting on a bucket, on a field covered in black plastic, in the afternoon, during a hot NC summer, pinching the buds from the growing mums. It took a week of pinching buds until the whole field was done. Then I would start the whole thing back over again. I did it for 3 weeks. My finger tips were stained black and by the end of it the skin under my fingernails on my thumbs pulled away to the point where it hurt, like when you cut your fingernails too short. When it was all said and done they sold about half of them while the others sat there to grow and then die a few months later. On the positive side of it, I got paid, I learned what hard work was, and every day the farmers wife made lunch and we all sat down together and ate which gave me an appreciation for farm to table food.

Page 6 of 12 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next