It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 52 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Giveaway: Takayuki Hammered Santoku
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:10 pm 

Mom wasn't much of a cook, or should I say she tried like heck anyway. My nightmare dish was her cube steak. I used to cry when I was a kid whenever she served it.

I still have nightmares! :lol: Thanks for bringing that memory back. UUUUUUgggghhhh. Yuck. :o

I need to win that knife now. You owe me for the nightmares I will now have. :mrgreen:

Dave...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:29 pm 

Liver and peas. My mom always cooked meat until it was thoroughly dead (well done). Liver was the worst. It was dry and upon chewing, just turned to liver powder in your mouth. I would slice it as thin as possible and make sandwiches slathered with mayo. Only way I could choke it down (she also had us eat whatever was served).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:24 am 

Oh man, I have another one that i had forgotten about until today. My mom use to make us carousels. They were cored apple slices(circles) with peanut butter on top, animal crackers upright in the peanut butter and another peanut buttered apple slice butter side down n top. I loved those things.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:43 pm 

My favorite meal was meal was my mother's home made cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning. That was the only time she made them that special way. Eat them with a big glass of milk; unforgettable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:09 pm 

I grew up in Greece. When I was a kid, my parents would send me to my grandparent's village for summer break, where my grandparents had a farm.
By far, by any measure, the best food I have ever tasted came from my grandmother's hands. All ingredients fresh from the farm, some favorites: Homemade toast with olive oil, oregano, garlic and fresh tomato rub; fried eggs with salted pork; unripened goat's cheese (homemade of course) with field grapes; cherries picked right off the tree, Zucchini sticks made with fresh zucchini, etc. etc. It was heaven.

Now I am in my 40's, I have my own kids, and I now I realize the full measure of how much my grandmother loved me, and showed it in many ways, in part was her wonderful food.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:34 pm 

Chef Boyardee ravioli was the worst food my dear Mom ever served me. Though it nauseated me, dear Dad made me eat it.

Mom's home made lasagna was the best ever! I have yet to taste any better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:05 pm 

I hated steak and pork chops because my parents always cooked them until they were sawdust. Once I had them cooked correctly, my life changed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:31 am 

Least fav by far ....Liver and onions my mother overcooked the liver and under cooked the onions. I am stunned I am an accomplished cook given my lineage !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:00 am 

Favorite: Fried chicken livers my grandfather made in a cast iron skillet.
Least Favorite: canned pickled beets

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:39 am 

My favorite meal as a kid was always steak and french fries. My Dad would make it for my birthday.

Page 52 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next