It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 51 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Giveaway: Takayuki Hammered Santoku
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:42 am 

My grandmother Raoul let me help her in the kitchen from about age 5 (1950). My favorite dishes during my youth were her old-fashioned "boiled custard" and her homemade cinnamon rolls, neither of which lasted long enough for the rest of the family to get much of a taste (bonus for being loyal kitchen help). By 1955 it was also my mother's smothered Swiss steak and chicken and dumplings (chicken from our neighbor's little flock). I even helped catch and pluck the swift creatures. Older hens were preferred, as I recall.
As a teenager, barbequed goat and raccoon along with smothered squirrel with rice were my culinary favorites.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:57 am 

Sadly, my childhood favorite food was kraft mac 'n cheese. I practically lived off the stuff for a few years. I eat a lot healthier now...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:15 am 

My mom used to make me cream cheese and jelly sandwiches for lunch when I was a kid, gotta say after all the years of eating those, I still haven't gotten tired of them. Super tasty, super simple.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:41 am 

we called it chocolate gravy and biscuits, my favorite breakfast as a kid, milk gravy and cocoa powder with moms homemade buttermilk biscuits, made getting up for school a little easier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:35 am 

Lasagna and Minestrone soup were all time favorites. Mom made them for me each time I visited back home. Least favorite would have to be meatloaf.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:51 pm 

In Japan, we eat soba noodles in new year's eve to celebrate passing of the year. Its called "toshi koshi soba". When I was 9 or 10, my mother made me a bowl of saba noodles but forgot put soup. What I got was bowl of noodle in the hot water. I didn't want complain and make her feel bad, so, I eat this tasteless noodles all gone. Few minutes later, she realized she forgot serve noodles in the soup, she came back and said "What did you do with your noodles?". I said "I eat it". She said" Your kidding me, it had no taste was't it?" "No, but I didn't make you feel bad". It was the worst thing I had in my life.
My mother talked about this incident for years.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:41 pm 

Well this is going to be sad, but the two things I loved most and brings back the most memories when I was a little kid were bologna sandwiches on white bread with Miracle Whip and American Cheese. Every day I would watch the Price is Right at the babysitter's house and thats what I was fed. I also loved pumpkin pie. Like both of these still, but dont' eat em like I used to.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:24 pm 

My favorites: kokoretsi, fried cod with skordalia (garlic sauce)
My least favorite: soft-boiled eggs, canned cooked ham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:28 pm 

My favorite food was perogies, my grandmother would always make them from scratch and it would boggle my mind she could do it without ever measuring a thing! Everytime they were near exactly consistent with the last batch, until one day my mother tried to make them and accidentally put dish detergent in them. Now I can't taste perogies without tasting dish soap... My favorite AND least favorite food by far... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:37 pm 

My favourite food was mom's homemade pizza, pepperoni's, cheese, green peppers, mushrooms, and onions. Simple and delicious, but it was all in the dough! Mmmmm... My least favourite was Mac 'n' Cheese, because it was literally just cheese melted on cooked macaronies... But I've come around to it since then.

Page 51 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next