It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:53 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 47 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Giveaway: Takayuki Hammered Santoku
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:31 am 

My favorite meal when I was younger was always at our great-grandma's. My sister and I loved it when my mom packed us in the car and drove to Great-Grandma's house in Littleton, CO. There, we met up with our cousins, aunts and uncles. We kids ran around playing tag, "Mother May I" and hide-n-go-seek until the adults called us in for dinner. One of my favorite meals of all time was when Great Grandma would slow cook a chuck pot roast until it was juicy and tender. Topped off with her homemade gravy, the duo melted in our mouths like butter. For sides, Great-Grandma always boiled and mashed potatoes. Of course, those were adorned with the same mouthwatering gravy.

While she prepared the potatoes, she would set some aside and they would later be used to make her homemade potato bread. Fresh out of the oven and smothered with the hand churned butter she would buy from the local farm, that bread was my favorite part of the meal. The butter melted and filled each and every crevice with delicious liquid gold.

There were times when dessert would follow this simple, yet luxurious meal, but other times we would nibble on sweet pink, white, green and yellow after-dinner mints.

These times and this meal particularly still stand out in my mind today. Not only the delectable food, but the family that surrounded us all truly made the get-togethers and the meals memorable. Everyone should be as lucky. I am very grateful. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:08 am 

Most Favorite: Pizza. Homemade dough, whatever ingredients you wanted. Of course my dad would add lots of everything to make it fork & knife pizza but it was still really good.

Least Favorite: Polenta with Sausage and tomato sauce. Now I would eat that $hit up in minutes, but as a kid it was just too uninteresting for me. Travelling a lot in Europe as a kid and eating tons of great food kind of ruined me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:28 am 

Low: Butternut squash, which I now like, was forced upon me as a kid and I literally threw it up on the plate trying to get it down. High: black olives off of my fingers. Thankfully my taste buds and manners (sort of) have evolved.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:14 am 

Baked macaroni and cheese with collard greens, bbq ribs and corn bread was one of my favorites my mom would prepare. My mom was a great cook. I honestly can't remember anything I didn't like that she cooked.

Last edited by NBroome on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:15 am 

When i was a child i remember having chadolbaegi ( a korean cut of beef brisket). It was a rare treat have beef at the table when i was growing up, which is why it was by far my favorite meal to have. I would watch my mom take a slightly frozen piece of brisket and skillfully cut paper thin slices of meat. The family would than all sit around the table fire up a portable butane burner and cook the meat on a frypan as we ate. And to complement the beef we would wrap it in lettuce and all sorts of banchan (side dishes). But the thing that really made this meal really memorable is that we would all be cooking the meat together and make small wraps with the lettuce and beef for each other. You could say its one of those happy family moments.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:44 am 

My Mom was a good cook, when I was a kid, but one dish she made was swordfish it was always so dry I learned to dislike it so much I haven't had it ever again and I'm 77 now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:06 am 

Haha this is quite funny as I was actually asked this question at an interview.

My most favorite meal as a child was my Grandmother's fried chicken. The cornmeal mixed in with the flour and cornstarch gave it that added crunch! And it wasn't even real fried chicken, it was browned and then baked in the oven. I so loved that dish. I used to ask her if we could have it every day, and she asked me if I wanted to be a chicken because I was going to turn into one from eating it so much!

My least favorite meal was actually a meal I used to have at my friends house, chicken breast that was over cooked and it never had any seasoning. I loved the kraft macaroni and cheese though, oh how I loved the macaroni and cheese.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:34 am 

Most favorite no doubt was fried chicken. There's just something about good honest food eaten with no pretention. Though a good smoked meat sandwich is a very close second (that's like pastrami on rye, except it's the Montreal version).

Least favorite must have been the endless ham-on-white sandwiches we'd brown-bag to school. Back then, none of us knew what "real" bread was.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:48 am 

my favorite meal growing up was always jaiba/ceviche. if i couldve, i wouldve lived off that alone.

now, chile verde with tomato rice. even after culinary school & restaurant experience i dont come close to even making it as good as my mom does.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:01 pm 

For me, my favorite childhood meal has to be fresh handmade mozzarella cheese. There is nothing better than a ball of fresh mozzarella still warm from the salt water. As an Italian American with roots running deep into Sicily, fresh mozzarella is one of the holy grails of our cuisine. The process requires a gentle touch that can yield the most delicious results!

My least favorite has to be my mothers meatloaf. Gooey, sloppy and unappetizing. Keep that between us.

Page 47 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 55  Next