It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Giveaway: Takayuki Hammered Santoku
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:28 am 

Most of my meals were eaten at my German grandmother (Oma)'s house, and my favorite dish of hers (really) was a poached veal tongue, in white sauce with capers. We'd eat it like we'd eat every single meal - with boiled potatoes and frozen peas on the side. If I was REALLY lucky she'd make cucumber salad too.

My mom, who worked full-time, didn't cook many things, but she made awesome fried chicken livers.

Needless to say, I was not a terribly picky child. :) Still love tongue and livers!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:40 am 

cabbage rolls. loved everything but the cabbage. now I eat the cabbage as well

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:10 am 

My mom knew how to be heavy handed with the butter, and dad was a BBQ god. Pretty much every meal was great, but if dad spent a Saturday tending the smoker, there was going to be brisket for days!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:34 am 

My childhood favorite has to be 卵かけご飯 (Tamago kake gohan).

Raw egg cracked over piping hot rice, and a little shoyu added in. Many years later I was able to identify the distinctive flavor of Yamasa shoyu as the brand my dad used when making tamago kake gohan and it remains my favorite brand of shoyu today.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:48 am 

Ok I got one for the least favorite column...in fact I still have culinary nightmares about this sometimes.

One night my mother decided to experiment with stroganoff, a usually delectable meal....not when done vegetarian style. Bean stroganoff. It was a gluey flavorless lump of disgusting. Not even buttered noodles made it edible. Needless to say that was a one off meal; never again!!

Knife Experience:
150mm Hiromoto petty
9" New West Knife Works Chef's
270mm Kohetsu AS Gyuto
150mm Masakage Yuki Honesuki
8 and 10" Wusthof Classics
Crappy Mercer culinary school knives

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:05 am 

Favorite: Bologna sandwich with butter and ketchup at my grandma's house.

Least favorite: Anything from my mom's stove. Everything was cooked to death 'to get the bugs out'.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:19 am 

i hated this dish called dinuguan when i was a kid. it's pretty much blood porridge soup. =D

i love it now though. lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:32 am 

Pretty sure my mom hasn't cooked anything I didn't like. I will always have 2 favorites though. Her homemade biscuits and gravy will beat anyone else's hands down. It always had a ton of sausage in it and the flavor is amazing! My second favorite is homemade tapioca. I know it's pretty simple but when mom makes it and is fresh out of the pot and hot it is amazing!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:33 am 

I HATED Brussels sprouts, specially out the freezer with the butter packet.

Now I LOVE them roasted hard til cartelized.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:45 am 

Favorite : grandmas chicken pot pie. That's what we called it . It was actually more like chicken and dumplings. She would roll out thick wide noodles from scratch. It was a very thick rich broth.

Least favorite: same dish when she added sauerkraut to it. She and my dad liked it this way. I however did not. I remember one time she told me she was making it for dinner . I thought about it all day. Came in after work and the kitchen smelled like sauerkraut. She didn't have it on the side, she just added it. I could have cried. I remember her feeling bad cause I wouldn't eat it. She then laughed when I told her I thought about it all day and now it was ruined . From then on she would make it on the side and if you wanted to add it your own you could.

Page 4 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 55  Next