It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Giveaway: Takayuki Hammered Santoku
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:28 am 

My favorite meal as a kid and still one of favorite now is my mom's simple version of American chop suey.... elbow macaroni ground beef and it has to be hunts tomato sauce. So simple so peasant but I love it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:37 am 

Steak 'uums. Loved them. I have no idea why.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:40 am 

Crazy as it sounds...it was Fish Sticks (or on a REALLY GOOD Night) Beer Battered Bluefish that was my childhood favorite! My reason was that this was a 'Dad' dinner...one of the few he'd cook for us when Mom wasn't home. Didn't get much of a chance to spend time with Dad as a kid as he ran his business and worked a second job...so those nights meant a LOT to me! Still remember them fondly!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:05 am 

I loved my grandma's fresh liver and onions. But I hated her homemade pancakes. I don't know why.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:06 am 

Favorite: When my mom would pick up cooked bbq ribs at the grocery store.
Least Favorite: A dish my mom called "Eat More" it was the same as "Russian Fluff" but made with rice instead of noodles. (Tune casserole is right up there. You know the one with potato chips?)

God knows why I became a Chef?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:09 am 

FAVORITE thing to eat as a kid period! ( this is gonna sound horrible!) bologna - mayonnaise - and strawberry jam sandwich, on cheepo white wonder bread, and had to be grandmas freezer jam. That was my ultimate, I even won a few awards at the fall fair 3 years running! ( was a weirdest sandwich competiton ) my least favorite, lima beans!!!!! or maybe that's a tie with grandmas head cheese on toast!
funny I think that at that very young age my palate a sense for the sweet, salty and savoury. and I grow up to be in the industry, (don't think ill win any awards with that as my signature dish though ;) lol...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:20 am 

My mom owns and operates a pizza place in a small town in Virginia where I grew up. The pizza place has been around close to 40 years and she's owned it for 15 or so now. I spent most of my childhood in the kitchen eating pizza, pasta, and sandwiches. The bus even used to drop me off at the restaurant from school cause my mom was there literally all the time. She always had a nice meal ready for me when I got out of school even when she was super busy at the restaurant which she always was really. Sometimes it was as simple as a slice of pizza or plate of pasta. Other times she would go out of her way to make me something that wasn't on the menu at the restaurant and was also a little healthier, haha. It really wasn't so much the food she made but more the fact that there was always something ready for me despite her being a single mom running a full time restaurant and she'd always sit down and eat with me. All of this also brought me to my career as a cook today. Sorry I guess thats not really a favorite meal haha, more of a favorite meal experience.

Cool give away and question, thanks a lot Mark!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:21 am 

Hated beets

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:26 am 

My least favorite was always liver and onions, my grandmother just LOVED those... was forced to eat them at least once a week and the liver always tasted like chalk.

My favorite was when I'd wake up at midnight (insomnia as a child) and find grandma making BLTs downstairs :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:27 am 

My mom used to bake orange roughy for 50 minutes in the oven and the serve it with microwaved broccoli covered in Velveeta. Gross.

Page 2 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 55  Next