It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 12 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Giveaway. How do you sharpen?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:56 pm 

I don't know how to sharpen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:58 pm 

I have a combination coarse, fine stone my friend gave me. I use both sides for the initial profile. After that, I use an Arashiyama 1k, and 6k, then I strop with a .5 micron block.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:16 pm 

140 diamond for major repair, progress through Shapton GS doing 320, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k and I finish stropping on .5 micron barium loaded balsa, .125 micron diamond loaded balsa and finally on horse butt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:40 pm 

I mostly sharpen woodworking tools. Most of the time I like to take my time:

Norton 220 (optional depending on edge)
Norton 1K
Shapton Pro 2K (optional)
Norton 4K
King 6K or Imanishi 8K
Norton 8K
Shapton Pro 15K
CBN 0.5 micron (optional)

Sometimes I have stuff to do and I simply pull out the DMTs Dia-Sharp and go through all the grits, depending on the edge condition starting coarser or not.

Sometimes my tools have profiles that I can't attempt freehand, and no small jig can accommodate them.The Tormek comes in handy.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:56 pm 

I use a Tupperware or Minosharp ceramic rollers then a Zwilling JA henckels steel.

I don't have the water stones as yet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:59 pm 

-DMT Extra Coarse (for repairs and leveling stones)
-King 800, 1200, 2k, 6k (used 800 for repairs before I got the DMT, don't use it much now; probably could replace the 2k/6k with something like the Green Brick)
-Naniwa Superstone 8k (mostly for straight razor)
-4x4 balsa block from craft store, squared with sandpaper on a granite counter scrap, charged with Handamerican 1 micron diamond spray
-Homemade strop: raw leather and a suede material glued to 1x3 red oak stock (mostly for straight razor)
-Mac ceramic rod (used for touch up when I am behind on sharpening)
-Handamerican smooth steel (AWSOME! won this in a previous giveaway, this is used several times daily)
-Norton coarse/medium oil stone (started sharpening on this, used for axes, lawnmower blades, and tools only now)
-Lansky fine oil stone (used on tools after Norton combo stone to get shaving sharp edges)

Sharpen kitchen knives about once every 2-3 months. I rotate ~6 knives that get daily use and steel them each time. Usually when I find one is getting dull, I sharpen everything. I also have 8 Wustof steak knives, they get sharpened about once a year or so, they don't get used much. My pocket knives get sharpened whenever they get on my nerves, that depends more on my mood than the knives.

A quick confession, I strop while watching TV to keep my hands busy, I have no idea how often or how long or which knives...it just happens that way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:26 pm 

For knives that I use frequently:

2000 grit water stone
5000 grit water stone
Strop on some newspaper
Hone with ceramic rod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 pm 

I'm a culinary student in Colorado Mountain College Culinary Institute and i have just started learning about Japanese steel and sharpening techniques on my own since most culinary schools still believe everyone uses European knives. I got a shun kai chefs knife and their 1k/6k stone to start practicing with and I always use my mac ceramic rod to hone all my knives. It's pretty safe to say I'm addicted and will be only buying Japanese steel and whetstones from now on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 pm 

Bester 500, shapton 1000, suehiro rika 5000 and a piece of balsa with boron carbide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:30 pm 

A Bester 1200 followed by the Arashiyama 6000 and then a leather strop.

Page 4 of 12 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next