It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:01 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Flattening stones, Woe and suggestions?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:08 pm 

Hey first post here, recently bought a heap of sharpening equipment from the store including an edge pro and sharpton gs stones (320, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k and balsa strop), angle cube, loupe and all that.

I made the rather silly move of buying the cheap 140grit 8" diamond plate thinking that any imperfections would be minor and not get in the way of flattening stones too much, sadly it ended up being ~2mm higher than the center in a U shape at each end to an extent that it cannot flatten a stone (tempted to heat it and straighten it, but I very much doubt that it will bode well for the bonding agent used for the diamonds)

I was about to bite the bullet and grab a DMT XXC or even a DMT XC (as some have said it works just as well for flattening, just a bit slower but a fair chunk cheaper)
BUTTTT reading some reviews on different sites apparently they have a chance of being warped too which would, at this point, really upset me (with shipping this gets expensive especially after the christmas period I just had)

What would the recommendations of the forum goers be at this point?

-laughs- I should have asked Mark to check the plate in hindsight, but I was thinking at worst I would have a little filing to do -sigh-

Thanks in advance, also -laughs- loving the edge pro. I am an alright hand sharpener but I felt like treating myself to something different and the edge pro seems to bring it's own joys for semiOCD folks like myself.

Last edited by lostsanityreturned on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Flattening stones, Woe and suggestions?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:14 pm 

Do it right. 140 atoma.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:16 pm 

Sadden wrote:Do it right. 140 atoma.

From what I read the atoma seemed to just have a better distribution of diamonds, or are they far flatter as a rule?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:20 pm 

Ive never heard of an Atoma not coming flat. The cheapie hasnt been on the site that long and we are already seeing these issues.

The atomas have a speckled pattern that gives them more bite. And they have much more consistantly sized diamonds than the DMT stuff.

If you want as flat as truly possible you have to look at the shapton DGLP. But its pricey. And i think you would have a hard time telling the difference between it and an Atoma 140.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:20 pm 

Send Mark an e-mail, he'll take care of you. The "cheapie" has been around for a very long time. Many have had no problem with it.

"Cheapie" description:
140 Grit Diamond Stone Flattening Plate. This one measures 8" x 2.75". These plates are not dead flat like the DMTs or Atomas which are 2 or 3 times the price but they are perfectly fine for flattening your stones or if you want to champfer the edges or for quick metal removal. If you're concerned about this pay the extra money and buy the DMT XXC or the Atoma 140 grit diamond plate. We offer them both on our site.

Last edited by Jeff B on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:28 pm 

Shipping of any plate from here atm is an extra $50 atm so going to have to do my research a fair bit, budget is a bit tight after christmas spendings (on others and myself -laughs-) and while my fiance has given the a-ok I can see the eyebrow in the mind raising ever so slightly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

Huh, I'd never seen reports of the DMT's coming warped.....or the cheapie for that matter. Not arguing by any means....just making conversation.

Never used the Atoma's, but only ever heard great things about them. I use DMT plates all the time, but I've had the same one's for years and none are at all warped.

$50 shipping is a huge PITA, so I understand not wanting to risk it. Perhaps asking Mark, in this case, would be quite prudent. The DMT plates are very good flatteners.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

The DMT plates are always flat. I can't ever remember one being warped.

Also, I leaned pretty hard on the maker of the cheap ones and the last 300 have been pretty good. For flattening they're just fine.

Personally I use the DMT at home and I like it a lot.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:12 am 

Adam Marr wrote:Huh, I'd never seen reports of the DMT's coming warped.....or the cheapie for that matter. Not arguing by any means....just making conversation.

Never used the Atoma's, but only ever heard great things about them. I use DMT plates all the time, but I've had the same one's for years and none are at all warped.

$50 shipping is a huge PITA, so I understand not wanting to risk it. Perhaps asking Mark, in this case, would be quite prudent. The DMT plates are very good flatteners.

Yeah I wasn't expecting any major defects in the plate like this and was taken quite by surprise, the problem is because it is ever so slightly twisted and has the fairly substantial bow in it. Nomatter what I do to flatten the stone always touches the corners first even on already flat surfaces or stones.
-mutters- in my desperation I had thought "maybe it won't be such a big deal" and tried it... wasn't my smartest moment :P, had to take a micrometer and sand it down manually while doing regular checks to make sure that all six point were coming to close to the same height again.

chefknivestogo wrote:The DMT plates are always flat. I can't ever remember one being warped.

Also, I leaned pretty hard on the maker of the cheap ones and the last 300 have been pretty good. For flattening they're just fine.

Personally I use the DMT at home and I like it a lot.

Yeah I am guessing I got an unlucky plate, and that is just how it falls I guess. I was going to get a DMT before I read two reviews of warped plates (one on amazon, the other somewhere else I can't recall) and now I am tossing up between DMT and Atoma, looked at a few close up reviews of atoma plates and a fair amount of effort seems to go into making them so I guess it is likely to have a much more stringent QC procedure.

Thanks for all of your help though and I ofcourse hold nothing against cktg, the cheap plates won't be something I will recommend to folks but that doesn't change the quality of the site, service and other goods. Amusingly I got the best speed shipping to Aus from USPS that I have ever gotten from this site. 10 days in total, took 5 days to get here and clear customs before aus postal service got a hold of it and too their time bouncing it around. But compared to 2-4weeks as is standard with USPS it was a joy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have one DMT 8k & Atomas in 140, 600, 1200. Sharpening ceramic, sharpening steel, and as lapping plates, I love them all, and the Atomas are all that.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next