It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:54 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Flattening lower grit bamboo stones
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:17 am 

Hi Ken,

Sent you a couple emails but didn't get a response so thought I'd try the forum.

I’ve purchased and have started using some the Nubatama lower grit stones for my sharpening fun. Specifically the Bamboo series; #150,220 and 600. Plus the Ume #320. Very pleased so far but haven’t used the #600 grit yet.

I have a couple of the DMT plates and an Atoma #1200 that I’ve used for sharpening some tools. I’ve been guilty of not flattening enough but I want to do it the best/right way possible as one can invest hundreds of dollars in these various stones.

1. My question to you is what do you recommend as the best plate for flattening these stones? Maybe XX course (DMT), #140 (Atoma) or another plate? Is just one plate grit enough, or would you suggest two?

2. I used the DMT XX Course plate on the Bamboo 220 and it appeared to excessively wear on the plate so I am concerned that the lower grit bamboo stones may be too hard for the DMT plates. If that’s the case, what other options are there to flattening the stone?

3. Also, what are your thoughts on the best flattening plate for higher grit stones (#1000 thru #8000) in general? I’ve been using a DMT XXC for the most on my stones up to #2000. Should one use a higher grit plate to match the higher grit of the stones? Seems it would reduce gouging the higher grit stones but I guess that also depends on the actual hardness of the sharpening stone.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks and keep the videos coming.

Post subject: Re: Flattening lower grit bamboo stones
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:15 am 
Forum Moderator

Consider the Atoma 140 as a first choice. It makes short work of the coarser stones, sticks less and even for the higher grit stones, you still need to flatten first then texturize with a finer plate or stone optionally. You will tear up the 1200 Atoma doing this sort of work.

More questions or more detail - just call 209 612 2790
---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]