It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: First Tanto
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:51 pm 

Today I had the opportunity to sharpen my first Tanto, I was a little apprehensive but confident that the EP Pro would deliver as long as I did my part.

I found that the angle was 23 degrees on both the main primary bevel and the front bevel so I got lucky there. I used the sharpie to confirm the angle, and set it all up with the angle cube.

I had to experiment a little to find the best way to reach the front of the blade but it wasn't hard, basically it is like sharpening the tip of a knife. I repeatedly painted the target area of the bevels to make sure I was hitting the right spots.

This first picture is just to show where I positioned the knife to reach the front of the knife.

The blade took a nice edge, extremely sharp and nicely polished.

My apologies for the picture quality, I really find it difficult to get good edge shots, I always have.

My progression was:
All EP stock stones by the way:
220/400/600/1,000/3k tape/6k tape.

To be honest, it was pretty easy. The owner did try to sharpen it himself on a stone and I had to work around that a little but all in all it was quite a rewarding project.

I no longer fear this style of knife.

Peter

Post subject: Re: First Tanto
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:17 am 

Tanto blades are a PITA. Also pretty much useless IMHO. Mostly I see Emerson single bevels that have been abused. Different angle on the Tanto portion than the rest of the edge then serrations on the back half. I can't for the life of me see why anyone would purchase a knife like that. Useless!

The EP is a good way to go when dealing with them. So much for my Tanto rant.

Nice work Peter!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:10 am 

I love Tanto styled blades. They have their uses , but just not in the kitchen.

The whole point of the tanto is to have a secondary point for making snap cuts..

Personal Knife

Customer Knife

The trick is getting the overhang right off the blade table so you can do the Tanto without moving the blade. I use sharpie to mark where on the blade table I hold the blade to accomplish this , obviously every knife is different.

The other trick is going to the rough stuff on someone elses knife where they have tried to sharpen it themselves , you really want to get that secondary point crisp , otherwise the knife doesn't function as intended.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:13 pm 

Thanks, at first I was with Pete wondering why I would ever want a Tanto but after reading your post Sadden I'm wondering why I don't have one. Nice pictures, thanks for posting them.
Peter

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]