It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:13 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: First post, and some thoughts
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:14 am 

Hello everyone,

My name is Alejandro, and im a line cook at a restaurant down here in Mexico city, been cooking for a couple of years now and know my stuff already, actually as many here i have an addiction to knives, and i like to keep mine's fairly sharp since it makes prep easier.

I own a couple of moritakas (2 pettys, 1 still with the oval handle from back in the day and another one with octagonal handle with a less hefty blade (more like a laser) and a KS which has found it's place at home for now) a Kohetsu 210 which has become my go to knife (I seeeeeriously love this knife, and actually is the reason for this email) a Takamura 210 (havent used it for so long, but since it's first use it proved to be a killer knife, the only thing i notice is that the handle can be a wee annoying coming from wa handles) a kasumi vg 10 short santoku, a couple of shuns, and a couple others that I really like but are not in my main rotation

With that brief intro, i will now get to the point. I wanted to mail mark to ask him; When are the 210mm Kohetsu's coming back? and so as the takamura's since a guy who i work with is asking me for mine (but it rather is my backup in case my kohetsu gets beaten with coconuts, fennel fine brunoise, guayaba and all sorts of hard ingredients i have to go through in prep. I'm planning on moving to spain in a couple of months and reeeeaaally want to take with me my last order (more toys for my rig coming soon) and 2 kohetsu's since im really in love with the one i have. A rather quick review of the knife, it takes an amazing edge, gets along with compounds, has an amazing grind and it's truly a workhorse, it goes for 2/3 weeks of heavy prep without going through the stones, we are not a heavy production restaurant but everything that we go through has to be immaculate and the kohetsu replaced my beloved moritaka ks for fine, detailed work, i could work with the moritaka but its too large and it goes through ingredients without hesitating, it truly is a wild animal thirsty for destruction, but this gig is more about containing and well.. u guys know, the only thing that would make the kohetsu even more brilliant would be the "recessed" back that masakage's are known for (that pinch grip space behing the choil) oh god that would make it my ultimate knife!!

any ways, going back into topic, Will we see any of those 2 brands restocking soon Mark?

Cheers everyone!

Post subject: Re: First post, and some thoughts
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:31 pm 

Welcome to the CKTG Forum! It sounds like you are really enjoying the Kohetsu. It really is a fantastic knife. I wish I could tell you but when they are expected to be back in stock, buy I don't know. Soon I hope. Nice kit you have ( Moritaka had oval handles? Cool!).

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:16 pm 

There are a number of different people that will be happy customizing the handle installation to your specifications. My advice would be to email mark and he would set one aside to be done how you would like, as for when that would be, I couldn't guess. Best of luck in Spain, hope this happens before you are gone.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:17 am 

alex > snipes has a 210 kohetsu in the classifieds right now for 130$ not sure about shipping to mexico.. u should pm him asap before it gets snagged up,

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:49 am 

Ah! Such a nice welcoming, thank u guys, I will post a pict of the moritaka handle later on, I did sand off the kuroushi finish on that one since it was a wee off, I will see about that used one but as u were saying, the problem is the shipping to Mexico and that I need someone who accepts credit card... Hehehe thanks for the welcoming guys, appreciate it :)

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:44 pm 

3 members of the family, including the oval moritaka, notice how the spine is a bit thicker than the ones that are currently on production

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]