It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:59 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: First Gyuto
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:23 am 

This website is the reply I get from every chef in the town I'm from when I ask them where they get their knives from.

I am a prep/line cook and I am most comfortable with a 240mm chefs knife. I am more interested in a life time home knife, than a work knife. I am not sure what brand of knife I want, or what type of steel I should get.

I am drawn to the Takeda Classic 240, based mainly on the look of the knife. It just looks like a piece of art because of how rustic it looks. I am thinking that I want to get a knife that is something special, that will make me happy every time I take it out at home.

At the same time, I am reading a lot of reviews on knives that are work horses in a professional kitchen. I think I am going to buy a "cheaper" knife for work, that is a little more durable, with less care required.

Long story short, I am in the market for two knives. One work knife that will take a lot of abuse, get left sitting with stuff on the blade when I am busy, get the steel a few times a week, and hit a stone once every few months. The second knife being something that will be my baby, that I take out at home when I listen to music and cook stuff that makes me happy. I plan on having it for a lifetime, so I will care for it with that in mind. I don't want to spend a thousand dollars on it, but I do want it to look like I did.

Your site is awesome, and I have been looking at it every spare minute I have for the past week. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: First Gyuto
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:27 am 
Forum Moderator

Work...<--link

Home...<link

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:08 am 
Forum Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Normally we like to have people fill out a little questionnaire before we start making recommendations, so I'll help you along a bit here.

1. Are you right handed?
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)

You already answered gyuto

3. What size knife are you looking for?

240mm

4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
6. How much did you want to spend?
7. Do you know how to sharpen?

You said that the knife will hit the stones every now and then between steelings, so I'm guessing you know how to sharpen?
Being that you said you wanted a durable knife for work, the suggestion Melampus made was a very good one. The Masamoto VG series makes a serious workhorse of a knife and is still tough enough metal that you can use honing-steel on it without damaging it.

Your home knife can be pretty much anything you want it to be, so that's where I think answering the questions is really going to help a lot. That being said, the Takeda is a great knife and would make an excellent choice if it fits your fancy. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

Barring responses to Shaun's questions:

You're going to get as many different suggestions as replies. :) Not a bad thing, but it's more a point that there are lots of really great knives available today.

Me, I'm not a professional cook so I probably should comment on the work knife.

Home knife.....the Takeda is awesome....everyone should own one at some point.

Kikuichi TKC is a perpetual favorite of mine. The Kohetsu is a new laser on the block that is very nice. The Goko is a great knife.....the list goes on.

You might be best off answering Shaun's questions and providing us a list of some knives that you like the looks of. We can help you widdle it down.

But, again, if the Takeda struck your fancy first.....definitely not a bad knife.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:50 pm 

1. Are you right handed?
Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)
Gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for?
240mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
No preference
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
Japanese
6. How much did you want to spend?
<$500
7. Do you know how to sharpen?
Amateur level

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

Okay, being that you are not a left handed user you can pick pretty much anything you want. The main thing we have to watch out for is knives that have d-shaped handles as they are biased for right hand users 9 times out of 10, as well as knives with right hand grinds (for single bevels, which isn't an issue since you are getting a gyuto).

Being that you have no preference on carbon or stainless, this again opens the doors to getting anything you want. We are going to assume you know the maintenance that goes along with keeping a carbon knife.

The budget of $500 leaves you with $300 to spend after the Masamoto VG. (if this is wrong, and you have the full 500 on one knife, then Melampus's recommendation would again be a good one).

Not to sound careless, but since your budget and preferences leave the door open to just about any gyuto on the site, pick a group of knives that you really like and then come back to us as we will help you weight the options of each. Happy browsing! :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:27 am 
Site Admin

Hello I'm glad you like the site. :)

For work I like the Kikuichi TKC for you.

For home get the Takeda. I have one at home and I love that knife.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:44 am 

I just ordered the Takeda. I kept going back to that knife when I was looking through all the other choices. I think that the handle on the Kikuichi is not my favorite, but I think it might be a better fit for a line knife than a Japanese style handle. I'm going to keep looking at work knives before I make my choice. Thank you for all the input.

I just realized that I didn't order the saya, and I'm wondering if that is something that you guys think I will regret not getting. I don't know if it is worth spending the extra money, or if it would even be wood that matched the handle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm pretty sure the saya would be a light colored wood (poplar or some such) and wouldn't match the handle.

Whether you regret not getting it or not would totally depend on you. At home, I rarely....basically never...use them. When I travel with my knives, I do. There again, you can make simple traveling saya from cardboard and duct tape too. :o

p.s. Great choice with the Takeda. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:17 am 
Forum Moderator

TIME4AREAL <> Please let us know what you think of the Takeda after using it a couple weeks.

From your original comments, I can deduce the Takeda is staying home. At home it's very easy to store the knife in the box to protect the edge.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next