It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:45 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: First gyuto help
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:36 am 

Hi guys, just chasing some opinions these 2 have caught my eye

1. Are you right handed? yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) gyuto and maybe a santoku
3. What size knife are you looking for? 210
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? not fussed
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? either
6. How much did you want to spend? 150
7. Do you know how to sharpen? a little

Itto-Ryu Hammered 210 Gyuto White #2
Goko Gyuto 210mm

any opinions on the 2 would be great

cheers
dave

Post subject: Re: First gyuto help
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

Dave, check out these two posts from an Itto-Ryu Gyuto owner:

post62486.html#p62486

post62507.html#p62507

These are high recommendations indeed for this knife. The Goko is stainless clad, whereas the Itto-Ryu is not. Both are very good knives.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:14 pm 

+1 on Itto-Ryu

i dont own the Goko but the Itto Ryu 210mm has become my 3rd favorite knife in my lineup.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:10 pm 

I like the Goko. I have the 240mm length. Tremendous value to that knife. When I bought the Goko the Itto-Ryu was also on my shortlist at the time but I have not handled it so I cannot vouch for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:38 pm 

These two knives are so similar in most ways, "comparable" steels, "similar" heights, same shitty handle with garbage plastic ferrule. The one major thing that sticks out is the iron cladding of the Itto-Ryu vs the stainless cladding of the Goko. That would be enough to swing me to the Goko.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:50 am 

If you are going to buy both a gyuto and a santoku I would recommend a 240 gyuto then.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:15 pm 

I have both and definitely prefer the Itto. It goes through product better than the Goko. The fit & finish are better and feels better in hand: balanced, nimble and solid.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:01 pm 

I have the 240 Goko, haven't handled the Itto-Ryu. I like the Goko: it cuts well and is easy to maintain because of the stainless cladding. I also think it looks quite attractive, but it is certainly a bit rough around the edges. It seems like the Itto-Ryu might be the cleaner knife overall, so with current prices I would be tempted in that direction.

I haven't found huge problems keeping carbon knives maintained as long as nobody else gets their hands on them. As a home cook I can usually control that. In a professional situation the stainless cladding might come to count for more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:41 pm 

If your not bothered with a fully reactive blade, I would look at the Tanaka Sekiso. (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakagyu ... 6iQY42XQU8)
In my opinion it looks a lot nicer mainly cause of the damascus blade and the lack of plastic ferrel.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:10 pm 

Hey Dave!

for my first gyuto, I initially intended to get a 210mm. I am really glad I did not, despite being heartset on it at first.

I went to 240 as I wanted it for most all general work a big knife would see (minus things like bones or hard fruit that a thick knife is more appropriate for). I did a lot of research and found that most people buying a 210 ultimately went back for a 240. The extra inch may not sound like a lot, but it makes a big difference in terms of multi-tasking capability, IMO. I also changed my grip going from the 210 to 240 to one which gave a little more control and allowed that extra inch to be used in a fashion to help with larger tasks. I also strongly prefer the 240 size for rocking cuts.

I am not sure if you would consider others, but my first gyuto was a Richmond Addict and later a Kikuichi Elite Carbon, both close to your price range and both I really, really like. Konosuke makes a 210 HD2 for very close to your price range as well, and their HD/HD2 line is widely considered to be one of the finest in the industry in its respective price class...I am no expert here, but my HD is really one of the nicest knives I have ever personally used in that price range.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next