It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:53 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Forum rules

This is the forum to announce your sharpening promotions, write about new products you've tested, and show off your skills.
You can post your prices, link your Facebook and YouTube page, contact information, etc...

You can post 1 sales thread and bump it all you want and add new promotions to it.

To apply for your own subforum, PM any of the mods here on the board, they are free!

Page 10 of 12 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fernandez 230 mm gyuto
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

That is a very broad question, it really depends on what Konosuke knife you are talking about, there are many different ones.

Generally speaking, when I mention them, it is referring to thinness behind the edge, or a profile that has a slight sweep. If I could compare the thinness of my blade to another Konosuke knife it would be in the realm of a Konosuke HD but my profile does not have quite as much sweep as an HD does.

I make batches for the website, and sometimes do custom orders outside the website as well. I will be doing more custom stuff shortly, I'm taking my time getting heat treat recipes down before pushing stuff out as fast as I can. I have a couple of S35VN blades left that are getting handled as we speak, pictures soon. (The S35 blades were ground by Lamson, not me). I also have a batch of 52100 to be ready shortly (ground and heat treated by me) and will be filling custom orders as well as hunting knives shortly.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:20 pm 

Yes, I was thinking of the HD/HH/W2 line of knives, specifically I am considering a White #2 210 gyuto or HD2 240 gyuto vs your knife, so thanks for the clarification. It's basically what I was wondering.

As for purchasing, I guess I'm a little confused. This is what I'm seeing on the website, which led me to ask the question about how does an order get fulfilled in light of your earlier comment about customization. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shfe23gyco.html . I assumed that CKTG had knives in stock based on this link.

I'm still learning about steels but my understanding is that the 52100 may be a better overall steel than S35VN, so my bias would be toward the 52100.

Sorry to be asking all these questions, just trying to get things in order in my head.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:38 am 
Forum Moderator

Other than blade thinness, my knife and Konosuke "anything" are totally different animals. As far as steels go: 52100 and s35 are very different. One is stainless powdered metal, the other is old school carbon with only a hint of chromium. 52100 has a finer grain but won't hold an edge as long.

Chefknivestogo will have knives in stock as I send them, and custom order will start getting fulfilled shortly.

I think you would benefit from doing some snooping on our forum here and asking some questions, or do some searches on steel topics and such. Much of what I'm going to tell you has already been said in some form or another, or usually people can help you on the question specific forums.

I do appreciate you taking the time to ask questions, at least you'll have a better decision and be happier with your purchase later on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:47 am 

Thanks for the guidance. I've done some broader searches and am getting better at refining forum searches here. I'm also getting more in the mode of researching and then asking more focused questions as needed. Learning a lot and it's great.

I also appreciate you taking the time to answer questions. Much appreciated!

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:43 am 

Totoro --> I just wanted to jump in here and give Shaun some props. He's a great guy to deal with and will help you any way he can. I gave him a challenge on a knife and he delivered and then some. It was mostly about the handle and what I was expecting of him. That is were most of this thread is from. He showed the block he used for my knife at the bottom of page three. The 230mm s35vn gyuto I bought from him is one of my favorites. I hope to be able to scrape up enough money to acquire one his 52100s at some point. I'm sure if you decide to do business with him you won't be disappointed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:02 pm 

Jeff - Thanks for the input. All of my limited experiences with CKTG and it seems all of the things that I've read from and about forum members who also provide goods and services are outstanding. The level of customer service I see and experience is for the most part unheard of these days in my opinion. Very much a community or maybe like a bunch of old friends who don't hesitate to help and go the extra step without being asked. It's what I like about this place.

That being said, I guess I'm just doing too much analysis. It's the engineer in me. While I don't have lots of handcrafted things, I have enough to have gained a strong appreciation and respect for the craftsmen who really put their heart and soul into their craft.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Okay, so after a little delay I'm able to get some stuff done. Here's one shipping out Monday to Mark, it's 1095 hardened 60-61, Stabilized Black Palm Handle with Nickel-Silver pins and lanyard hole. The steel is 3/16" thick and she's not light (342 grams or about 12 ounces), but the balance point is just forward of the first rivet so it seats in your hand nice with little perceived weight. Overall length is 10 1/2" and the edge is just over 4". The handle is made to be held full handed either choked up or back on just the wood, no fingers left unaccounted for, very good grip, extremely comfy. Pricing to be determined.

This profile is intended to be a Hunter with skinning and small branch capability. There is a differential heat treat (annealed handle and softened spine) and it's been tested already, tough as nails. You will not break this blade by swinging into wood, that is for sure. The edge is strong enough to withstand scraping against bone and is great for breaking down deer and other game.

Attachments:
022.jpg
022.jpg [ 992.15 KiB | Viewed 156 times ]
011.jpg
011.jpg [ 1000.37 KiB | Viewed 156 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Here's a pic of it in my hand to show you the finger spacing choked back.

Attachments:
025.jpg
025.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 155 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:03 pm 

Shaun,
Glad to see and hear from you again! I get worried when I don't see posts or videos from you (just kidding). Interesting design for a skinner! That is a massive finger choil, do you think you will do a video on it so we can see it in action?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sorry but I don't have any game to break down for you on video. Best I could give you is holding the knife and wielding it basically, or hacking some wood with it, cutting rope? I gave a few out to some hunters and let them test them, got good feedback. It's a hunter, not a skinner. Maybe I shouldn't even say that word so there won't be any confusion. I also make them without the thumb hilt as well if you don't like that.

The massive finger choil was a choice by me, as the wood of the handle ends and you end up with only steel in the hand, the diameter significantly decreases so I make up for that with a little taller choil area, it gives you something to hold on to.

All criticism is welcome, I'm not trying to compete with anyone or copy anything; This was a design that I came up with for someone and liked it, so I'm going to make some! Just that simple! :)

Page 10 of 12 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next