It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fernandez 118mm Tall Petty review
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:24 am 

I was the lucky bastard who picked up the purple handled edition on the second run. I bought it with my wife in mind as she loves purple...and I'm sticking to that story. :) The OOTB edge was initially sharp, but lost its edge quickly, which was a bit surprising. I gave it a full progression at 15º / side from 500 - 4000 shapton glass over the weekend and sharpened up quickly and nicely. I had a chance to put it through its paces tonight and prepped a full dinner at home with the little guy. I love the design and the handle really fits the hand nicely in a pinch grip. The 52100 steel picked up some dark grey patina spots after the first or second use, but nothing that is bothersome.
It diced up garlic, tomato, onion and boneless chicken breasts like a hot knife going through butter. The fine dice of the raw chicken was the most impressive as the knife just slide right through it literally like a stick of butter.
The spine and choil could use a bit of rounding, but nothing that is of concern. The rest of the fit and finish is excellent and the handle is beautiful. I'm very happy to be owner of this handmade knife by an American craftsman in such an inspiring shape. You have much to be proud of with this design Mr. Fernandez. Keep on doin what your doing.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fe11tape.html

Post subject: Re: Fernandez 118mm Tall Petty review
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:48 am 

Nice to see a review of these (no idea if others have been posted already). I'm particularly interested in using one as a poultry knife, so your comments in that regard are very helpful. I hope you continue to enjoy the knife, and that Shaun continues to sell them!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:06 am 

Nice review, it's good to hear how these feel in hand. 52100 is such a great steel to sharpen.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Joe, I'm no pro, but this knife works very well for me breaking down whole chickens. The pointed tip lends itself to precision and the blade is stiff.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thank you very much for this review. It's nice to hear what can be improved, and what I did right as well, of course. ;)

I believe both purple handles from last batch were Box Elder burl with nickel silver pins. The spine was rounded a bit, but the choil was not. I made a decision to keep the spine a little more square than most knives that I round to give it a little more surface area. The more you round a spine the thinner it gets at the top, making some thin knives uncomfortable when pressing on such a thin spine. I think that I'll round the next ones even more, as well as the choils which was already planned.

About the edge: The initial bevel was ground with a 120 belt on my 2 x72, then finished with Shapton Glass 320, 500, 2000. Admittedly I didn't do much in the way of deburring the edges because I thought it didn't need it, but your comment about losing the initial edge fast means that there must have been some burr left. 52100 is not a high alloy steel, but it shouldn't lose its edge fast like you stated. I shall step up the sharpening game on next batch. I'll probably take them to 4k as well instead of 2k.

I truly am grateful for your comments as this is the only way I'll know how to improve my knives. There are quite a few custom makers on the market right now, but I feel I have a duty to CKTG and this forum to make something special for a good price. Maybe one day I'll charge more for my knives, but the thought of making something affordable feels better in my heart. And rest assured, any criticism or comments are taken seriously, and I thank you for them.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:41 pm 

Snipes great review , that little knife is gorgeous i'm waiting for it to come back in stock any idea how long ? I want one of these.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have a few shipping soon. Been a crazy past couple of weeks, I got the shaft a little bit but that's life, lol!

Once I get these babies cranking out again I hope to keep up with demand for a good while but it's going to be another week or 2 for things to really get rolling again. In the meantime there are more than enough other jobs to keep me occupied. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:41 pm 

Can't wait for the new batch :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]