It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:25 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: F Dick Polish Steel vs Super Fine cut?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Mark, how would you describe the differences between these two steels:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fdidi12posto.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fdidisuficut.html

Just wondering how the "polished" steel differs from the "super fine cut"

thanks

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: F Dick Polish Steel vs Super Fine cut?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

The polish steel is smooth.

The super fine cut has a tiny bit of surface scratches on the rod to help it straighten the edge. They both work well for Japanese knives and if I had to choose I would choose the superfine.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:39 pm 

The purpose of a fine or smooth (aka polished) steel is to true and not to sharpen.

The F. Dick polish steel is a "packer's steel." It works best for knives which are sharpened to a rather toothy finish and don't need more scuff. That's typical of knives used in the meat industry -- hence, the name.

A fine (such as the "Superfine Cut") or very fine textured rod (such as an Idahone "Fine" ceramic) not only trues, but adds a bit of scuff to the edge. That gives a slightly worn edge a little extra bite in the form of micro-serration, and that help defer the need for actual sharpening. There's a limit to how many times you can take advantage of the scuff before going to the stones.

Honing rods (aka "steels") are the most convenient and effective way to true MOST western-style knives. Some knives, however, are so asymmetric, so hard, or otherwise so prone to chipping that they should be trued on a flat strop, rather than a round or oval rod. Chisel edges, "V" edges with sides sharpened to different bevel angles, and "V" edges more asymmetric than 80/20 are probably best stropped; so are any knives harder than 62RCH.

You didn't ask, but you might as well know that medium, coarse and "diamond" steels are meant to sharpen as well as true. However, they cause a lot of damage and should be avoided by those who care about their knives.

Very few people know how to steel properly, and their technique is counter productive in some way or another. Most TV chefs have lousy technique. Ramsay is a frikkin' clinic on what not to do.

• THOU SHALT NOT, NO NEVER-EVER, NOT EVEN ONE SINGLE TIME, bring the knife against the steel hard enough to cause an audible clang;
  • THOU SHALT only steel with a very light touch;
  • THOU SHALT NOT steel the edge at a 45* angle;
  • THOU SHALT steel the edge at the same angle at which it was sharpened, or only very slightly more obtuse;
  • THOU SHALT NOT try to "section" the edge; rather,
  • THOU SHALT steel the entire length of the knife with every stroke;
  • THOU SHALT NOT rub the knife back and forth on the steel; instead
  • THOU SHALT steel in the edge-leading, spine-trailing direction only;
  • THOU SHALT NOT steel one side of the knife with repeated strokes; AND
  • THOU SHALT alternate sides with every stroke.

Hope this helps,
BDL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 pm 

Thanks for the thorough reply BDL. If I'm looking for something that will do nothing more than TRUE my edges, it sounds like the polished steel is the way to go. I don't want anything altering the finish I choose from my stone progression or strops. Just want to re-align and perhaps remove burr in-between stones. Borosilicate sounds like it would fit the bill in this category as well, but hard to come by. Sounds like I'll probably end up going the polished route.

Josh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:38 pm 

If your final stone is 2K or coarser, a smooth (aka polished aka packer's) steel is good. Otherwise go with a fine, extra fine, or ultra-fine. It seems counter-intuitive, but a little bit of texture is actually a good thing and will help your knives last longer. If you want to save a few bucks, the Idahone "Fine" (aka 1200) is as good as the F. Dick Superfine; each is as good as those things get.

I have an HA ultra-fine grooved borosilicate. It's an ultimate tool as the finer rod in a two rod system, but it's limited on its own. Keith (HA) was making a polished borosilicate rod for awhile, but I never tried it so will refrain from comment. If you want a new HA borosilicate rod don't give up hope completely. Sometimes HA products return to the market after a long hiatus.

A steel is a very useful tool for chasing a burr, but won't actually remove it. I use my borosilicate rod to help deburr up to around the 3K level. Any steel, no matter how smooth, will screw up a finer polish.

BDL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm 

Very nice to see you again BDL.

For those who are not familiar with this gentleman he is well known for his knife and culinary skills and for writing with great brevity and clarity.

Not to mention his mastery of the double entendre mixed with innuendo leaving many to wonder if they have been complimented or disgraced but feeling well all the same for a remark from an intelligent gent.

Be warned, this is a very clever and dangerous man - which makes him a pleasure to read.

Keith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:53 pm 

Keith!!! How the hell are you?

Der feelink isht mootchewal.

BDL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:38 am 

I own the polished steel and am satisfied with it. From your requirements as you described it is the correct choice for you. It will not remove a burr, but will true a rolled edge and leaves a moderate finish (3K) unscathed.

The fact that it has 'Dick' written on it about 7 times always amuses my friends who make my kitchen their last call after a long night.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:36 am 

Thanks for the feedback Rick, I appreciate it. Hey when you have a product that not only does its job effectively, but amuses friends as well, that's a win-win.

Josh

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]