It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Extra tall Gyuto (240mm)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:51 pm 

Well, after deciding I wanted to purchase the Takeda 240mm gyuto, I fall on the Konosuke Addict extra tall... Are there any other extra tall gyutos on the market?

Wich knife between the Takeda and Extra tall addict has a taller blade? Wich one would you recommend?

:?

Post subject: Re: Extra tall Gyuto (240mm)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

MONSIEUR <> The Takeda is taller by a few millimeters.

I would recommend the Konosuke by way of steel. The HD steel is the best of both worlds: carbon edges & sharpening ease, remarkable edge retention with their last compositional change to the alloy, and all w/o the reactivity. Aoniko requires more attention then HD.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

That would depend on what you want. The Takeda is carbon, KU finish. The Addict is stainless and polished.

Both great knives, great cutters.....just a matter of what details you want.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:56 pm 

Seems that the finish of the Konosuke is better in every way than the Takeda. Rounded choil, polished spine, handle, etc... can anyone chime in on this aspect?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Better is in the eye of the beholder. Some really like the KU finish.

The handle....equals. Both very nice.

I honestly can't remember the choil being polished/rounded on the Addict....but it is something I've come to expect from Konosuke knives.

Spine, yes....nicely rounded on the Addict. But, I don't recall ever feeling the need to round the spine on a Takeda as they were already comfortable. Been so long since I've owned one though that it might be just not remember right.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:55 pm 

Yeah, from mr. Fernandez' video review, looks like it a very well finished knife. Too bad I can't try them both and decide :S...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

MONSIUER <> As I am not you, I can not judge how you prioritize deciding factors to a purchase, but the largest variable here is the steel. I see it as - you want a reactive blade or you want a non-reactive blade (technically semi-stainless but I have 6 HD's and they don't react).

Takeda is awesome steel (in a rustic package) that you have to care for as the carbon steel it is. Wiping after usage, keeping dry, food reactivity consciousness, etc. The Konosuke is an awesome hybrid of stainless & carbon steels (in a modern finish) that requires effectively no more care then a stainless, but offers the benefits of a carbon. Its a no brainer for me, but that's me.

If you have room on the CC, buy them both, and then return the one you like least. You usually receive your shipment in 3 business days, & Mark/Sue are quick with the refunds...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:14 am 

For me...the HD's are nice...but seem kinda boring compartively(although, i've never used one)....in a 'medical' kind of way. The Takeda's have something unique and creative to them...that sets them apart. There's something personalized about each one; your getting someone's blood, sweat and hard earned tears with each knife. Whereas, the HD seems like a finely tuned instrument, identical to one another. Both have excellent merits...really comes down to what you value in a knife.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:06 am 
Forum Moderator

Get the HD Addict if you can afford it... by all means. The HD's are usually extremely thin behind the edge. Drops through food, sharpens lightning fast. If you like the height and the blade profile then get it, because rest assured that performance won't be an issue. :mrgreen: F&F on the Konosuke is a little tighter usually.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:32 pm 

Melampus wrote:MONSIUER <>...If you have room on the CC, buy them both, and then return the one you like least. You usually receive your shipment in 3 business days, & Mark/Sue are quick with the refunds...

To me that is a strategy that is unfair to Mark/Sue because then they have have to deal with a used/open box item and could loose money on it. This is taking advantage of their good business practices. If you buy two knives too compare it is you that should sell the one you like least or keep them both.

This is a very good example. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rila24gyopbo.html

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next