It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 55 of 56 [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: Exclusive Forum Only Sales
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:12 am 

My petty arrived today, first impressions are the knife is very nice for the price, we all know Blue #2 is great steel that will take a very sharp edge. The knife is pretty thin behind the edge, but gets thick towards the spine. I have not used it yet, but I expect it to perform well, I won't be surprised if there's a little wedging due to the taper with the thick spine. I will update after some use. The blade is very stiff and stout and like Steve G said this knife would make for a good utility knife for breaking down poultry. Fit and finish is good. The Nashiji finish is very nice and the grinds are done well. Yes the knives handle ferrule junction is not even and has a step down to the ferrule. This is not uncommon on many Japanese knives, the tang of the handle also is not sealed into the handle, so a little epoxy is in order. No big deal. Overall my OOTB impressions are this knife for this forum price is a heck of a buy, thanks Mark.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:56 am 

It's very common to see a little of the tang exposed on a Japanese knife. That little gap is prized by some chefs for grip room. Same with how loose the knife often is. The handle is often considered expendable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:40 pm 

Got mine yesterday used it right way to trim up a skirt steak. Did quick work of it. It is one sharp stout little petty. Will definitely work as a Honesuke. I agree with Hutch and ChipsB neat petty for the $. The handle is small and the tang gap needs to be filled to seal the tang from moisture getting in. I will probably put a bigger handle on mine. Nice grind and I like the Nashiji finish. Thanks Mark for these deals. Bill B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:44 pm 

Got mine early today. Wanted to test its OOTB sharpness first. So put it threw some stuff. Then after holiday I will sharpen it up and put it threw some more stuff. Then I will write it up. Trying to hold out for a week without sharpening it to give good opinion.

I will say it did cut magazine paper no problem at all. Couldn't really cut half moons or ovals? out of the paper when you bend the paper. But I will say it was probably a 6-7 out of 10. Completely respectable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:39 am 

Got mine yesterday. First impressions here:

kohetsu-135-mm-aogami-wa-petty-forum-special-t6963.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

This is not part of the forum deal but I thought I would point out that we're doing 20% off on the new Kohetsu AS Nakiri. I want to get this into a bunch of people's hands to introduce it. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/koaosuna16.html

I don't have a ton of these and I'm about to do an email blast so I expect we'll blow though all 35 of them quickly. But I really never know for sure.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

The new forum deal is up. We'll run this one for a week or until we run out of them. Murata 210mm Gyuto Blue #1 Western: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fomosp.html

It may take a few minutes for the page to update. This one is 50% off for you guys only. I hope you like it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:26 am 

Great deal! Knife looks amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:33 am 

Any more info on this bad boy? It's definitely feeling like new knife time, but I'd really like to know something about what I'm getting into.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:32 am 

Please let me get to 100 before you put up the Atoma :mrgreen:

Page 55 of 56 [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next