It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 54 of 63 [ 627 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Exclusive Forum Only Sales
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:43 am 

I ordered one. I had no need for a 135mm petty. But it was so cheap its like buying a pack of game on way out of a store. So I had to have it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:58 am 

Bought it with fingers crossed, because it is the first time I have qualified with 100 posts and because I am driving through France and compared to a bottle of mineral water here it seemed cheap. Trying to build my petty collection, and this
will be fun. Will report when I get it...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

NolaDNA wrote:I love these deals. Thanks so much Mark

You're very welcome. Thank all of you guys for helping me make this forum a great addition to CKTG. I consider you guys an extension of our customer service department (consisting of Sue and I).

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:04 pm 

Looks like a pretty sweet petty!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:50 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:You're very welcome. Thank all of you guys for helping me make this forum a great addition to CKTG. I consider you guys an extension of our customer service department (consisting of Sue and I).

I know I am not alone, but I have learned so much here in very little time. This forum is really unlike any other I have been a part of.

I got in on this petty deal. It is a lot of firsts for me. First time I could get in on a forum deal, first Japanese petty, first b#2, first kohetsu :D So hopefully I will have plenty to say about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

Love the core steel on these - it gets stupid sharp really fast on the stones :-).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:56 pm 

So this little knife arrived today. Very nifty little blade and, as Steve said, I could definitely see myself using this as a Honesuke (as I don't own one) for breaking down Chicken which I do at least 1-2x per week. The Nashiji finish is very cool. That said, the F&F is, well, ummm.... Rough. There is a good 1MM ridge around the ferule where it meets the grip. There is also no sealant to speak of where the blade is inserted into the handle. Indeed, it feels like there may be some wiggle there. Basically, will have to sand down the handle so it is flush with the ferule and seal the handle with some epoxy. Not a huge deal given the price, but just thought it was worth noting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:28 pm 

Wiggle isn't something I've noticed before, but those F&F issues are pretty common on some of the lower-priced J-knives. The Gokos I bought had them, though I would say 1mm is pretty big for a ridge there. I haven't touched the handles yet but I did add some beeswax to the handle-tang gap to try to seal it, which has worked well so far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:03 pm 

Yeah, not super surprised, or really care that much as I'm probably going to be gripping more blade than handle on it for the most part anyway. Hey, for 50 bucks, you get a very solid blue steel clad knife with an attractive finish. If I have to spend a few minutes sanding and couple bucks on some epoxy, it's still a great deal

Last edited by ChipB on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:05 am 

Mark, you ROCK!! thank you so much for the deal on this petty. i just ordered it and will give a review after i've had a little time to use it.

pat

Page 54 of 63 [ 627 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 63  Next