It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:54 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 34 of 59 [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Exclusive Forum Only Sales
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:00 pm 

Nice lineup Taz!

Steve, I like the sell off and replace idea. I have been thinking about thinning the herd a bit, there are some underutilized knives on the rack right now and many many more fish in the sea. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:54 pm 

sell and replace indeed; I feel like you need a little konosuke in your life!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:04 am 

"I feel like you need a little konosuke in your life!"

I did just get the Addict SLD by Konosuke :D I can tell you I already want another. It is a rock star.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:38 pm 

cedarhouse wrote:"I feel like you need a little konosuke in your life!"

I did just get the Addict SLD by Konosuke :D I can tell you I already want another. It is a rock star.

That doesn't count, it's a Kono wanabe. Ain't nothin' like the real thing baby!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:12 am 

I am at the stage I think a lot of people re in as well.. I have a few gyotus in the $200 range.. an AS laser, a White 2 Kono, a Goko white 1.. and I don't think I will spend any more money on knives until I get one in the next range which i feel like is $400.
I think specifically this would be something like a blue 2 Kono Fuji.
That being said… all of these $200 knives are amazing.. what are you looking for with that big jump in price? is it mostly the hand forging? grind?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:54 am 

I'll try to answer your question from my perspective. I have the same philosophy here. Your kono white is a great knife. The fit and finish is great and I bet when you got it, and even now when you look at it think ok how can it possibly be better? I had these thoughts about my hd2. I was giddy with it. I bought the upgraded ebony handle and thought wow this is it! Well yes to a degree it still is. I use it quite frequently. However, I felt like I had to have the blue #2 Fujiyama. I knew it was a "higher quality hand made" knife but you don't really realize the magnitude of it until you unwrap it and put it in your hands. It delivers all of it. Forge quality , grind quality, fit and finish...it wants nothing...nothing you need to do to improve upon.
I have most all higher end knives too. Kono, takeda, massakage kioshi. I put a higher value on quality than quantity. I'm not saying that the sub $200 knives are not quality. There are just levels of quality that are at different price points. I don't have any duplicates currently. I have one knife of one type and size each. I only have two gyuto's one is a 210 the other a 240. Etc.. I'm not in a pro environment in a kitchen where I worry about a co worker "borrowing " my knife to open a can of beans. I don't worry about someone putting my knife in their roll and taking it home with them. I am free to fully enjoy my knives and baby them somewhat because to me they are more than just tools. I enjoy them as functional art. That's the reason I want the best ones I can afford. Not because I will save time going through boxes and boxes of product. I do enjoy using them and taking care of them, however the passion for me is different. I think there are many people here who approach this from both sides of the aisle. With some closer to the aisle than others. I'm sure there are some who buy some knives to just collect them and never use them while others just see them as tools that aid them in their trade.

Long winded version of there are different price points for a reason. Different people will gravitate to the ones they are more comfortable with or suit their needs the best. I think the longer you look, the higher up you generally gravitate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:12 am 

Redwattle you hit the nail on the head.

I'm just a home cook and I feel the same way. I enjoy them as functional art also. The blue#2 Fuji is the knife that I have been lusting over for some time. One day its going to be mine. I love my TKC its the best knife I ever owned. When I use my TKC I think of the craftsmanship and the history behind these knives. Its just cool to me. The history of these families and their amazing skills is just fascinating to me.

Dave.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

EMalsky - +1 on what Red and Landscaper said. If you have something that performs as well an AS Laser Gyuto, then IMO you won't likely see leaps in performance moving up the price ladder. You'd be hard pressed to find a knife that out performs the AS Laser as an all around great blade. As already stated, you're generally spending more $$ for the tangibles and also the intangibles. Tangibles might be things like better F&F with more rounded choil/spine, nicer finish on the blade, more expensive steel, more hand craftsmanship (in some cases), that sort of thing. Intangibles are the subjective feel and connection with a particular knife - the aesthetic and artistic aspects. The exclusivity of owning something on the higher end of the spectrum is another.

Take a Kono HD/HH/W#2 and put it side by side with a Kono Fujiyama and you can just feel the difference. The Fujiyama feels more expensive - and it's not a subtle difference in that particular case.

Granted in many cases the differences will be less and less as you move up the food chain - that's just the nature of getting into the higher end realms of almost anything.

I have enough Gyutos, but I decided to get the Sakai Takayuki Ginsan 240 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satagiwa24.html that I recently had for a Quick Look video. I just fell in love with this knife. It's a little thicker on the spine and it's not a light Gyuto, but the grinds/convexing/distal taper were so nice on it. The aesthetics of the blade, the handle, the small amount of machi exposed on the handle install, all contribute IMO to a modern look that oozes tradition. It love the way this knife looks sitting on the cutting board. I really like the 230+ length in my home kitchen. This knife just feels right in my hands. It does exhibit a small bit of wedging on certain ingredients, but I have the Kono HD2 Gyuto for those, if needed :-).

My advice would be to find something that really calls to you with those intangibles as much as the obvious physical characteristics. If you make a real connection with the knife, both when using it and when admiring it, I'm almost certain you'll think it will be worth every penny.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:05 pm 

Steve, I just watched your video on the Sakai, and smiled the whole time. I'm so glad you bought it—I've watched plenty of your videos (which I find very useful), and it is clear that you really did become attached to this blade. :)

Sorry to digress this tread again, but this doesn't seem worth a separate post, and I think some of you above may be interested in this, too:

Steve's video, and some recent research, has helped me to further progress my own search for a "special" knife. Some of you may know (including Steve) that I recently posted about getting such a knife as a graduation present for myself, and I all but decided on a Kono blue #2. Recently, however, I discovered that the Kono Ginsan series is very, very similar in design, and is likely made by the same blacksmith (I'm referring to the traditional handle versions, which I strongly prefer). I first came across this fact on the Tosho site, which I love to browse to get a better sense of the aesthetic variety that Mark and others are able to draw from these makers for their customers (never bought anything there...and don't think I would, given their preference for super-high heat-treats and my desire to support CKTG). I'm wondering, Steve, if you have any comments to share as regards the "special effect" of the Ginsan versus the "official" fujiyama series, and if CKTG may get some of these in any time soon, with a heat-treat between 61-2. I'd love to the try carbon blue #2, but I've come to realize that Ginsan stainless, like AEB-L, seems to impress the hell out of anyone willing to take the plunge. Perhaps this is also true of the Sakai Takayuki!! While the Blue #2 may be "better" for a gyuto in my case for personal reasons (really itching to try carbon for a main blade), I think smaller knives, which get used less often, would be awesome in Ginsan.

Feel free to get Mark to tap in on this, especially if there are any Ginsans in his recent 100+ handleless shipment from Kono!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Joe - I found the Konosuke Ginsan knives to be every bit as impressive as the Fujiyama's. To me, they're like stainless Fujiyamas - if that makes sense :-). IMO the recent Wa handled versions of this knife would be superior in handling and weight to the Western/Wa hybrid handle on the earlier Ginsan knives, and they are much less expensive to boot. I have not handled any Wa Kono Ginsan yet.

That Kono Wa Ginsan 240 Gyuto would be a very special knife. I would venture to say - if the Kono was in stock and I had it side by side w/the Takayuki, that would be a difficult choice between the two, price not withstanding.

Shoot Mark an email on getting any Wa or un-handled Ginsan Gyutos. I think they would look spectacular with Isaiah's latest Wenge/Maple ferrule handle. As Mark if he can make that happen :-). As you mentioned, Mark ordered a bunch of un-handled knives from Konosuke to help expedite getting product from them.

Page 34 of 59 [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 59  Next