It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:07 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Edge retention- Shun Classic
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:08 am 

I've been sharpening for 10 months or so and I've started to notice a pattern with Shun Classic knives; mostly the knives with a thicker blade (santoku and chef models.)

The edge retention on all of the ones I've sharpened is HORRIBLE. I'm sharpening them at ~15 degrees without a micro bevel. They'll come off the stones with an edge that will shave your arm. After one or two sub-hour-long prep sessions they have dulled significantly. Both knives I observed this on were on side grain maple blocks. The Shun that is my personal knife doesn't seem to exhibit this same behavior. All of the knives were sharpened with the same stones in the same manner and are all branded "MV Cobalt."

This is sorta baffling me. Most of my cutting technique is push-cutting. All of the other knives are used mostly in, uh, whatever you'd call it? A "glide" forward where the whole edge contacts the board on each stroke.

I can't seem to figure out how my relatives are dulling the shit out of these knives. I've watched how they treat the blades and, while not as obsessive as I am, they are cared for properly.

Any thoughts? Is it cutting technique, sub-par steel or what?

Post subject: Re: Edge retention- Shun Classic
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:36 am 
Forum Moderator

Is the blade fully deburred or is the wire edge just aligned and not noticed until you start to cut with it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:50 am 

To be honest the edge retention of the Shuns isn't terrific by any means. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Aogami, SRS-15 & M390 but I'm "over" VG-10.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:55 pm 

I have a Shun classic paring knife, I find the same thing, it only holds it's edge for a week or so at most in my house. However, on the up side, it is very easy to re-sharpen and it only takes a couple of minutes.
Shun knives are in fact one of the easiest brands of knives to sharpen, that is my experience anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:20 pm 

A week sounds about right to me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:27 pm 

I have a Tojiro DP. Which is VG-10 like shun. And if i dont get that burr COMPLETELY off that edge it rolls over very quickly and performance goes way down. Very frustrating. I was having a really hard time when i first got the knife but once i have gotten my deburring routine down along with everything else that goes with achieving a good edge ive been happy with the edge retention. I just have to give it a few passes on my 5k every now and then or after a long day on the line. But that pesky burr has been a nuisance indeed...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:37 pm 

Maybe the burr is the culprit. Most of my knives are carbon and that's what I sharpen most frequently. They seem to retain the edge MUCH longer and don't see to have an issue with a wire edge.

I'll try to focus more on removing the burr on the VG10 knives.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]