It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Edge Pro Pro Kit 3
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:45 am 

Tall Dark and Swarfy wrote:Right you are Eldergeek. And I have no beef with you.

I would just like to point out that there are countless pages on this forum as well as (78) pages on Knife Forums where Mad Rookie has taken the basics that the EP was and, little by little, transformed it into an amazingly accurate sharpener. And at no small expense, considering he went from the terrible stock EP stones to Choseras to Shapton Pros to Shapton Glass, keeping us apprised at every step of the way. He presented us with the Angle Cube. He noodled out the stop collar trick. He then worked out the current state of the art angle pivot system and went further to center it on his EPP, even admitting that it wasn't necessary.

If anything grinds my gears it's that newcomers join our forums and point out flaws in our methods... Without taking the time to research, and while themselves still making the mistakes that were covered hundreds of forum pages ago.

At some point I can't keep yelling into the wind, but rather have to just shrug.

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Rick

I was agreeing to your post regarding the centering.....truly confused about your statement regarding newcomers...after all it's newcomers to the forum that buy from CKTG
I'm also very very familiar with MadRookies mods, advice , techniques and the amount of effort he has placed into helping forumites across the world.
He has personally helped me in buying a chef knife and other items for the EP, all done on our forum back home.

We are are all from different cultures , countries , so misunderstandings can occur on a forum, and I have no beef with anyone here.....so apologies if I've offended it's not intentional.

Allen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:21 pm 

No apologies needed my friend. As I said I have no beef with you. In fact... It occurred to me that maybe progress made with the EP was best documented in SABlade and I'm ignorant of those threads.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:03 pm 

Whoa, dude. Chill out. Why on Earth you would be taking up some weird "beef" with someone you don't know over an issue like this is insane. Secondly, if you hate newcomers so much, what the hell is the point of a forum to begin with. It's not some predetermined group of like minded sycophants patting each others ego's at the expense of people trying to glean knowledge and maybe put forth something they might offer. I apologise sincerely, and profoundly for not reading EVERY SINGLE THREAD AND EVERY SINGLE POST EVER PUT ON EVERY FORUM ABOUT KITCHEN KNIVES IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD BEFORE DAAAAARRRRIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGGG to come here as a "newcomer" and fill YOUR bandwidth with information you so clearly see as inferior and sophomoric. Where exactly I am pointing out flaws in any methods is beyond me, I didn't see that he'd moved the pivot over, SORRY DUDE. If you are unwilling to have your flaws pointed out, then whats the point, may as well just bury yourself, and finish the relegation to the bin you have clearly predetermined for yourself. You probably should stop yelling into the wind... Because you are yelling without reason. If you want me to point out a flaw, here is one for you chief. Tact. Sorry for filling YOUR forum with useless information. EVERYONE, EVERYONE, everything new posted is old news, so its time to stop posting and start attacking everyone with a question who doesn't dig through "hundreds of forum pages" to find their answer when an "elder" forum member that has the information could just point it out... Because that's NOT what internet forums are for. They are only for archival knowledge, and nothing new can EVER be relevant.

Frankly, your additions to this thread are quite discouraging, and almost of zero value. It is great that you point out that someone else has taken the time to re-engineer a piece of equipment, when for what he's invested, he could easily have bought materials, and built a new "superior" machine. I have the tools, equipment, and engineering skill to do that, but frankly I sharpen knives as a side cash job, and Ben offers a product that is really pretty darn good, and with a little precaution, I won't have to worry about wearing out the pivot block. As I said, I've polished the pivot rod, and lubricated both the rod and the block, friction is nearly non existent. Since I am not just resharpening my own knives over and over when I cut three carrots, an onion, and two sticks of celery for soup at home one night a week, but sharpening restaurant knives, and pro knives that see hundreds of pounds of produce a week, just this morning, my 210mm Richmond petty cut 65 lbs of Sirloin, 22 lbs of ribeye, 20 lbs of filet, and 15 pounds of NY strip, and hunting knives and collections worth thousands of dollars, it is in my best interest to keep my equipment well maintained, and lubricating the pivot rod every time I use it isn't too much to ask.

Anyway, I switched from hand sharpening on whetstones to using an edge pro for the sake of time, and consistency. I researched quite extensively, including looking through the modifications that people have done to the EP system. I posted this because there are not a whole lot of threads showing the difference between the Apex and the Pro, when compared with the number of people wondering about it. The pictures were mainly what I was looking to add to the forum, showing "newcomers" what they would receive if they went with the professional model. Either way, my customers are happy, and now I have time to do more knives and make more money. So, thats what I'll do.

Sorry if my response is overbearing, but being called stupid by someone I've never met doesn't sit well with me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:03 pm 

Wow. Well, if my post came across as that offensive I must apologize to you and the forum at large. I have no problem with newcomers. They are the lifeblood of this forum and often amaze me with the knowledge and experience they bring.

And FWIW I found your review of the EPP excellent.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:25 pm 

I think you guys might be getting a little sensitive. I read the thread, and being new myself, didn't take any offense to anything Rick wrote. I read his comment as basically saying it can get tiresome to repeat things that have been discussed ad nauseam in other threads. If anything, I can completely see how that might get annoying to a more seasoned member. For what it's worth, Rick has been nothing but cool to me so far, so don't think tirades are really necessary in this case.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:32 pm 

It probably is me. Like I said, I had to cut a crapload of meat this morning... lol.

Just didn't see the point in the commentary. While my assertion may have been a bit overblown, it is basically what was said.

If people don't want to repeat things they've said a thousand times, then they really need to take a look at the world around them. You do it everywhere in life. You have to tell your dog ten times to come before he gets the idea, you have to tell your kids ten times to wash the dishes before they get the idea, you have to tell yourself ten times that knives are sharp before you stop cutting yourself, and on and on. It's never going to change. I saw a bunch of people wondering about the EP pro here and elsewhere, I have one, so I wanted to put up the pictures and describe why I chose it over a wicked edge. I don't believe that pivot block wear is going to be an issue, because I had the foresight, as soon as I saw metal rubbing on plastic, to polish the pivot rod, and put a little can of silicone lube in with my kit. If I keep swarf and grit off of the pivot rod, I don't really see wear becoming an issue for some serious amount of time, and if it does become an issue, there are ways to fix it.

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2