It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:41 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Easy Homemade Sinkbridge
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:41 pm 

No slippage so far. The fact that I used 6" board and made a tight fit to my sink of the blocks on the underside keeps it in place across the sink really well. I mostly use a wet handi-wipe on the board under the stone and it's been really solid for me so far.

Like I said, I make garden beds and I use the 6" cedar for them so a big part of it was that I happened to have it on hand as scrap. 2x4 or 2x6 would work too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:13 pm 

Hello there, I'm new to all this forum posting so excuse me for any fumblings. I've been looking at all the options for holding my stones in place but seeing as I live in Turkey and can't get hold of anything decent here, I decided to have a go at it myself.

I've designed my own sink bridge based on the Henckels and Kramer version but it's a bit more robust with four bolt attachments to support the sliding base and a hinged separate block on top which can be angled and adjusted to suit everyone. There is also a double bolt sliding grip block to hold different sized stones securely in place. I'm currently in the process of making mine out of triple laminated bamboo and I'll upload some photos of the finished product when I'm done. Here are the designs that I whipped up on Sketchup the other day. Let me know your thoughts and any criticisms are most welcome.

General view

Adjustable arm detail

Rear View

Closed View

Sliding base View

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:59 pm 

This would be a lot easier if I could upload from my iPhone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:17 pm 

Woah. Now that's a sharpening doodad. So long as the build is sturdy and the faucet is tall enough that looks amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

JASONB <> The CAPTURE app uploads video from your phone direct to your youtube account, and the PHOTOBUCKET app uploads images directly to your "bucket".

Regarding the doo-dad as someone put it, thank g-d for a rag... cause that's all I'll ever need.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:47 pm 

Melampus wrote:...thank g-d for a rag... cause that's all I'll ever need.

Same here - mostly...
for me (and probably allot of people) a moist rag with the end folded over for a slight tilt on the stone is simple, handy and is all that is needed for single stone touch-ups.
I do use a stone holder but only when I have an extended sharpening session with multiple knives and stones.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:55 pm 

Mel, thank you again for the technical support.

Here is my setup.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:15 am 

Hey Thomas,
Looks like quite the project. A little too complicated for me to build. One recommendation I do have for you would be to use a sliding grip block/stop with very minimal height. Once your stone wears to a certain height, it may become unusable unless stacked on top of something else. Personally, I would just do away with the grip block completely and use tool liner or a wet rag to keep the stone stable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:02 am 
Forum Moderator

I have a couple of them. Here's a closeup of one doing some heavy work keeping the stone in place. It drives me nuts listening to stones moving around during videos.

It's wide so no claustrophobia ( << Melampus' pet peeve with narrow holders :) ). It will hold stoneholders, hugh stones over 20 lbs in size, long stones. stones with bases, various devices like an EP, etc.

And you can run water over it as much as you want and not worry about water going anywhere but the sink.

Here it is holding a custom stoneholder I made for holding LOOONG stones or this 11 inch diamond plate.

longholder1.jpg
longholder1.jpg [ 38.01 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]

or a large chunk of 4x6 wood

woodblock.jpg
woodblock.jpg [ 39.46 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:08 am 
Forum Moderator

Here's another one. Just a thick piece of granite I cut to fit the sink. I use it coarse side up for traction. Heavy enough to where it isn't going anywhere.

Here I'm using an Aoto on a single bevel knife on it. BTW no one is holding the handle for this picture :)

bigaoto4.jpg
bigaoto4.jpg [ 138.3 KiB | Viewed 224 times ]

---
Ken

Page 2 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next