It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:42 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Doi 300 Yanagiba or ??
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:26 pm 

So now I have narrowed down my parameters for my next knife purchas and have accepted what I knew all along. I do not need a Yanabiga, I want one. With the amount of Sashimi I prepare and the way I prepare it I really want to enjoy the perceived pride and history which goes with cutting and presenting this product in the most traditional manner. I now feel I can best do that with the Yanagiba.

I saw the Doi 300 Blue #2 and White #2 came back into stock. At a price of 450 dollars is the Doi the best option (I am not a collector but a user with a great amount of pride). If this is not the best option I am looking for suggestions. And finally if the Doi is the right option should I get the Blue #2 or White #2 dragon.

Thank you

Jamie

Post subject: Re: Doi 300 Yanagiba or ??
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:40 am 

I have the Blue #2 and it is a superb knife. I am not a collector, and in fact re-handle and sometimes modify the blade of my knives.....the Doi I have left as Mr. Doi prepared it, there is something special about it. It is beautiful and cuts like a precision instrument out of the box. Honestly, my biggest fear is messing it up somehow. I take extra care when I sharpen it. I am sure you will be happy with either of Mr. Doi's knives.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:04 am 

If you care, even slightly, about the history of the knives, it's probably going to be blue #2. Doi pioneered its use in kitchen knives. I'd give quite a lot for one. I only hope I'll be able to make that financial commitment before the backlog is sold out.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:45 am 

Nothing to add on which one to choose, but based on Lepus's statement that would seal the deal for me. I wanted to add that I think you are making the right decision on getting a Yani. I don't own one, and doubt I'll ever have a reason to own one, but if I was working with the type and quantity of product you've mentioned in other threads I'd be all over picking one up. It seems a no brainer to me. Please post a review.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:12 am 

Thank you all, The Blue #2 Doi is certainly the way I am leaning and may already have fallen over.

Jamie

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]