It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do shapton glass fit in the universal holder?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:42 am 
Site Admin

hey mark,

just had a quick question. i was curious if the shapton glass stones fit into the universal stone holder that comes with the bester/beston set. i love the bester set, but think that the spalsh-and-go feature of the shapton stones is really attractive. also, just curious as to your thoughts on the what the next step up after the 500/1200/5k grit progression should be. is 6k too little of a step? i suppose its all personal opinion, but just wondering what you thought.

btw i just ordered that moritaka kiritsuke, and im waiting like a kid on dec 23rd for that thing to come in.

thanks for your time! the customer service is what keeps me sending people to your site to buy knives!

nick

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Do shapton glass fit in the universal holder?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:46 am 
Site Admin

Hi Nick,

I hope you like that Moritaka. It's a good knife.

Yes the holder fits. We actually pair that holder with the most popular shaptons here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sh6pcstset.html

if we're talking about glass stones, 500/1k/4k are a good progression. If you were to add another higher grit I would skip the 6k and go for the 8k.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:59 am 

I have the universial stone holder and Shapton glass. But I do not know what happens when the stone is almost weard out. There will be almost no clearance between the stone and the holder. I thinking about buying the shapton stone holder instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:06 pm 

I don't have this holder, but has the glass stones. Would it work to put down a layer of Masonite or something just slightly smaller in dimension than the stone down first, to raise the height of the stone to where only the glass is being held? I'm just suggesting this to save you money.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, +1 on what Red stated. Just cut something the same size as the Shapton GS stone that's thick enough to raise the height to where you need it so you can use all of the stone over time.

You could also use some zinc washers or something under the ends and the middle to support the stone correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:42 pm 

All you have to do is hold the stone up and close the holder on the glass. No shims needed.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]