It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Do I need anything else for my edge pro kit?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:50 am 
Forum Moderator

Jack,

I STRONGLY agree with what you laid out in your first post on this thread. Very well stated.

"The faster CKTG can get the Nubatama Bamboo 150 in stock the better the world will be. "

They are on the way or already there at CKTG. A better world. I really recommend this stone as a must have for any EP user.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:22 pm 

EDIT: I just realized I strayed from the original topic. I was thinking more about free and sharpening regarding the "feeling". However, this is just as true when using the EP.

Ken, I re-read my post and I would like to repeat something I feel is so very important. Not just regarding knife sharpening. It applies to many things we learn to do. GOING SLOW! This was made clear to me when learning to play guitar. I took lessons from a great guitarist after I could already play. He said someting like "Play what you are playing slow enough that you can play it perfectly, even the hard parts. What good is playing something fast if it is played poorly?". For knife sharpening it't the same. Accuracy is so much more important than speed. The guitar instructor then added "Don't worry about being able to play fast. Just forget about it because speed will come automatically and when it comes the accuracy and speed together will result in good results." I can't think of a better all-around lesson for becoming skilled at anything. So perform each sarpening stroke slow enough that you can feel that the edge is on the stone. When going slow you can feel when the bevel is on the stone (and not the edge) and you can also feel when the angle is too high for your desires beccause the edge is trying to cut into the stone. And just like speed, this feeling comes in time automatically. If anyone is just starting to sharpen and can't feel the different feelings as the edge contacts the stone just keep stroking (slowly) and the feeling will come automatically, just like the speed. Just pay attention to any feeling you get from each stroke.

I've seen several times that people may prefer a certain stone just because of the "feeling" they get from that stone. Not just performance. Some stones just "feel" better even though a stone that doesn't "feel" as good performs just as good. But when first beginning to sharpen we don't even "feel" much differences and think something like "these guys must be nuts". :) Then pretty soon we can "feel" it and become nuts also. :D

Of course this going slow becomes frustrating. So we speed up on purpose. When this happens we need to realize it and put a stop to it and continue working on good habits.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Great post Jack!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2