It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:58 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Dinner prep- Naikiri
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:14 pm 

I get done what I need to get done. Don't really know how to rate that.

I use better technique than anyone I have cooked with, but then I have never cooked with any of you... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:59 pm 

The only time my knife skills suffer is when I rush or I know someone is looking over my shoulder.

Happened last night. Chef asked for julienne of carrot. Little did I know he wanted a fine julienne but that's besides the point. I was pretty nervous as he was standing beside me. Made me a bit shakey and the end result wasn't so great.

I'd say carrots are my nemesis though. Depending on the moisture content they can be soft and forgiving or hard and brittle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:35 pm 

Speed in food prep is almost never a consideration for me at home. Now it can get a bit hectic the last 5-10 min when I'm trying to ensure the three things on the stove top, the thing in the oven and the grill all come out at the same time, but for prep work my focus is on uniformness and appropriateness of the cut. A few years ago I picked up a book called Knife Skills Illustrated by Peter Hertzmann. I still refer to it from time to time. It was very helpful in showing how to correctly cut various food items and for many of us who've never had formal or informal training it was well worth the $20 or so for the book. He even shows step by step for both righties and left handed people. Highly recommended.

Never used a nakiri before.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:31 pm 

I got a cheap stainless Calphalon Nakiri at tj maxx for $15 that I use all of the time. A new one is on my long list of knives to upgrade eventually. I find it is a really nice mix of the cleaver and the gyuto. It's probably my second most used knife behind my artifex gyuto.

My knife skills are probably a little above average. I do most of my practice after a Sam's trip when I break down all the onions, peppers, carrots, celery, etc and freeze most of it. Usually takes 30-60 minutes to dice it all. Do lots of other fresh veggies and meats just about daily too. Of course, any time I am in the kitchen I am looking for a reason to play with something sharp :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:05 am 

My knife skills are fairly decent. I manage to cut faster and more consistent than anyone else at my job, but thats not saying too much.

Luna, you need a koishi. I've never encountered a knife that blew through carrots like mine does. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:00 am 

So, depending on the amount of crap that needs done, either at work or home. Warp speed and accuracy go hand and hand with me. Of the two the second is the best thing to focus on. Speed comes with constant doing. Now, I will admit that at home most time speed is kicked very low. Work usually is about a 7ish out of 10 depending on day and once again thing that need done. 10 speed days are rare and those usually are 6 nonstop hours of scary knife using :) And usually in that time I can get a whole day of stuff cut and done in 4ish hours and the next 2 are used for giving others a hand or knocking out stuff for the next day.

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2