It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:42 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Difference between Honesuki and Utility knife.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Good morning,

I'm interested in several knives and need your help. Would you please explain the difference between the 6" Honesuki knife and the 6" Utility knife. It looks like the Honesuki knife may be a little wider almost like a chief style, how about the weight it's for my wife.
You web site says it's a top seller, what are the significance of the gold stars? (below the Utility knife).

Is your sale offering an additional 10% still in affect. I'm also interested in a sharpening stone (wet) combo 1250/3000 or 2/4, do you have something similar and how much is it?
Do you charge tax?

Thanks

Mark S

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Difference between Honesuki and Utility knife.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, the honesuki is traditionally used as a boning knife primarily for poultry. They tend to have a one sided edge. The 6" Utility knife is a more general purpose knife and it can be used for a variety of things including boning, paring and other smaller tasks like slicing small fruits and veggies. I hope that helps.

Mark

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:58 am 

A Honesuki is designed for a specific style of boning chickens and ducks, and is not a beginner friendly knife. They are sharpened in a fairly extreme fashion and are designed to excel at a limited task. The reason it is selling so well is because the Tojiro Honesuki is one of the least expensive Honesukis out there. Most are $150+.

The Utility is basically a small all purpose knife, designed to bridge whatever gap there may be between a Chef's and a Paring knife. A Petty is the same thing, but usually Petties have the same shape as a Chefs in a smaller package, and a Utility is not intended to match(though there is no actual agreed upon distinction...think sherbet/sorbet).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

The honesuki is a heavier duty knife and specifically designed for poultry and more specifically for taking apart poultry through the joints and not cutting through the long bones (thighs and drumsticks). The tip works well for dissecting breast meat off of the ribcages andf the heel for separating joints with a downward push.

That said, it is a heavier duty knife than the petty. I often use mine for tasks like cutting cheese and as a general utility knife too. It is a more robust knife so it takes a bit more abuse than the thinner petty knives, so in my home kitchen it is a more 'wife proof' knife. For slicing veggies I prefer a petty or Santoku for the home cook.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]