It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Did an 70/30 grind today
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:13 am 

Took my old beat to crap MAC knife and redid the bevels. Decided to do a 70/30 right hand grind.

If I were to take a stab at telling the difference it would be that on slicing it did better but when dicing it was more difficult.

Anyone else take a knife from 50/50 to 70/30 and notice a difference? It's sharp as can be but I can't notice a crucial difference.

Post subject: Re: Did an 70/30 grind today
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:23 am 

macs are traditionaly more 60/40 to begin with, and no u wont notice a huge difference with that knife its pretty thin to begin with, if you work on it more and concentrate your thinning practice the same assymetrical way you will after a few sessions start to notice it more. I took my old wustoff classic and converted it to a 70/30 this way and it improved dramaticly that was years ago and now it just sits lonely in the kit but at the time the marked improvement was deffinatly there.
on the few mac's I have sharpened it did take quite a bit of work to rid the wire edge, especially I notice that when sharpening any knife assymetricaly mostly the tip area was the worst. could b why u couldn't see much improvement on dicing?
not saying u hadn't fully removed your burr but just a thought, and have had it happen to me more than a few times

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:37 am 

I removed the burr to the best of my knowledge (felt cube and magnification)

the tip area was a little bit of a pain, but in general going through product where the product needs to stay together it's pretty hard.

Might have to try it on more of a workhorse knife and see what results I get.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:40 am 

we are talking about horizontal and lateral cuts on an onion I assume?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:49 am 

cheffiec wrote:we are talking about horizontal and lateral cuts on an onion I assume?

Lateral, Blew through some more ingredients, I think it's like you said the blade is so thin the bevel geometry doesn't have as large of an effect as a thicker beefier knife.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:51 am 

give it time and see if you like the effects after a shift or two at work, one thing u will prob find is touch ups on the strop or ceramic rod are easy peasy! I also don't mind a small micro bevel on my 70/30's
good luck and have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:52 am 

I was thinking about a micro bevel actually, this is my line knife for most nights so we'll see what happens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:01 am 

I personally find that behind the edge thickness and grind play much bigger roles than the edge grind. I long ago quit playing the how low can I go on my edge angles before I start seeing chips and the extreme offsets as the performance gains were negligible for the time and effort I put in, imho, but I would still encourage you to play with your edge angles and offset. Experience is the best teacher and your preferences may be different than my own. Heck, if you can tell much of a difference between 50/50 and 70/30 at the same angle you are a better man than I.

What angle did you sharpen at?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:09 am 

mark wrote:I personally find that behind the edge thickness and grind play much bigger roles than the edge grind. I long ago quit playing the how low can I go on my edge angles before I start seeing chips and the extreme offsets as the performance gains were negligible for the time and effort I put in, imho, but I would still encourage you to play with your edge angles and offset. Experience is the best teacher and your preferences may be different than my own. Heck, if you can tell much of a difference between 50/50 and 70/30 at the same angle you are a better man than I.

What angle did you sharpen at?

15* give or take a few degrees. I don't have an angle cube so I can't really tell you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:31 am 

15 should be fairly close to the original angle. Next stop 10 dps... the rabbit hole only gets deeper from here :D

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next