It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 10 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cutting board wood
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:40 pm 

Yeah I think my board was just so brand new, dry, and ready to absorb anything and everything that washing it down with really hot water and soap was not the best way to go about keeping it from warping. I bet if I oiled it correctly first and let it sit for a few hours to let the oil make its way through the board (and I read harden?) I could probably get away with what I tried initially.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:10 pm 

Yeah, Maple.
My bad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:35 pm 

So I got back from work and IT'S BETTER! It's not fixed, but it is noticeable better. I'm attaching the before and after photo along with a photo of my setup. It's been like that for just under 24 hours. At this rate it may be back to normal come next wekk, but honestly I'm just so thrilled to see an improvement.

Attachments:
photo(6).JPG [40.14 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
photo(5).JPG [32.41 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
photo(4).JPG [32.52 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nice! Wood takes several days to dry out normally with something like this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:18 pm 

I use my wood board for nearly everything, with thoughtful wipe-downs. I am somewhat fussy about meats, and as I mentioned earlier I often gran a flexible thin plastic mat to use over the wooden board if I am working with something like chicken. So far, so good--I have never sliced through the mats, but they should be replaced when they get jagged cuts in them--this is more troublesome when it comes to bacteria than wood boards.

If anyone likes a little read, here is the USDA take on cutting board cleanliness. I am sure I cut some corners... http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsi ... y/ct_index

The next link is really far more fun. I don;t know where the debate went after this study, but it's got come interesting data about bacteria and plastic vs wood cutting boards...

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/facul ... gboard.htm

No matter, good luck to the OP.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:32 pm 

The technical recommendation hops back and forth every few years. It's always funny to have that chat with the health inspector.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:57 am 

Lepus wrote:The technical recommendation hops back and forth every few years. It's always funny to have that chat with the health inspector.

Exactly, Lempus! It is in the end a somewhat inexact science that some health agencies try to treat as exact. One missed microbe on the cutting board might do you in, or, as in my home-cooking case, you can miss thousands and live a long, happy life.

I'm not a chef, though I do teach. I am thus spared the health inspectors. I can only imagine your conversations.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:39 pm 

Checked it this morning and it is fixed! It is nice and level. I celebrated by cutting up some carrots. Thanks for all of the advice and I'm glad I was able to fix it this quickly!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:26 pm 

Last edited by snipes on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Awesome news!

Page 10 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next