It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 8 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cutting board wood
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:34 pm 

Lepus wrote:If you have to be "careful" about washing it you're going to love the food poisoning.

Relax. Of course I don't mean not washing it properly to eliminate bacteria, etc. I just won't use screaming hot water and I won't let it run over my board. I'll adequately soak and soap a sponge and wash the board down that way.

I'll keep the trend of updates going and say I woke up this morning after letting my board lean on its edge in an air conditioned room with the dry setting on the window unit on and nothing has changed. It has only been about 10 hours so I wasn't expecting anything yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:57 pm 

I had a cheap of bamboo board that went out of shape. I set it aside and went back to my poly board for a couple of weeks and came back. It had straightened out considerably but still had a bit of a curve on it.. My board was a little over an inch thick.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:06 pm 

Yeah I'm curious how the 2 inch thickness of the board will affect it. I'm going to let it go probably until Monday and then if nothing really changes at all, call Dave like he asked me to.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:55 pm 

Got home from work and no change. Grabbed a fan from my basement storage and have it blowing directly on the board now. I have it blowing down the board (the 2 inch side) so that both sides of the board have a steady stream of air going over/past it. Hopefully that brings a change.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:07 pm 

Drying wood takes time. Lots more then you're giving it.
Think of it like planting tomatoes. Drop the seed in the dirt and come back in 2 weeks.
Oak is a dense wood so it will take tiiiiime.
David covers the board for 60 days IIIRC so you'll be OK.
Just give it a chance. Relax , Be Happy

+1 on the comments about how lightly you need to clean the board.
2 David Smith boards

Douglas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:23 pm 

Yeah I know. It's just frustrating after waiting 3 months to own it, but having to now wait because I messed it up. Hard to be happy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:43 pm 

+2 on the thoughts about cleaning boards lightly. I am a wipe-em-down minimalist and would only rarely approach a sink with a Boardsmith. Of course, the fact that the board weighs about as much as my car makes in-place wipe-downs far more appealing.

On the rare times I work with something like chicken breast, I actually get lazy and slide a very thin poly sheet over the board, then use it to transfer the potentially salmonella-laden things to the skillet. There is some interesting data out there from, I think, the UC at Davis about wood cutting boards and bacteria. Some of it may have been challenged, but wooden boards did better than expected from a safety standpoint.

Please excuse me--I know that this is a deeply guy-oriented forum. But discussions of the attempts to get the poor board back into its original perfect shape are starting to remind me of a long-ago year spent struggling to restore flatness to a post-pregnancy stomach. I am hoping the OP has better luck with the Boardsmith and the work is not as futile.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:03 am 

I have an acacia cutting board from Williams & Sonoma and recently it has become "slow". I have hard time chopping because my knives stick somewhat. Is this from too much oiling? Anyone have similar issues or know of any remedies?

Joseph

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:12 am 

What about cooked meat. Putting a roasted chicken on the cutting board and carving it up is something I'm looking forward to. Any issues with those srippings? I guess those things could impart a smell if not cleaned properly. If I were to put a raw chicken on it, a light scrubbing from a soapy sponge and immediately drying it wouldn't do damage to the board would it? The warping I'm experiencing now is from really scrubbing it down. It is such a thick and heavy board I just severly underestimated the power of water.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:41 am 

If you want to remove moisture from wood, put a fan blowing warm air on it. Not cool air from an air conditioner.

Moisture content in wood is a major concern in all buildings where I live. I will not allow contractors to put up vapor barriers until the wood has dried and they always use industrial heaters and fans. It usually takes a few weeks when the wood has gotten wet.

Alternatively, could you use a thickness plainer to remove any bowing in the board?

Page 8 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next