It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 6 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cutting board wood
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:00 am 

You absolutely need to call Boardsmith as soon as business hours permit. If this is an issue with care, they have the expertise to diagnose and help you address it. If it's an issue with the board, they're obliged to sort it out. Give them a chance to make it right and don't go through more treatments that might help or might hurt until you have some serious expert advise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:53 am 

Hmm, you washed the board when it arrived. That immediately introduced more moisture into the wood than humidity ever would. All wooden boards will warp to some degree, even the expensive ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:22 pm 

Woke up this morning to a warped board, this time going the other way. Picture attached. I'll be calling Boardsmith later today.

Attachments:
photo(4).JPG [32.52 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:42 pm 

Called the boardsmith and it seems to be a water issue. Apparently my quick scrubbing of the top of the board caused it to initially warp and then me trying to counter act that by washing the bottom is the reason why it is how it is now. Dave told me to stand it up on its edge and let the moisture evaporate from it and hopefully that should do it. He was nice about it. I felt terrible telling him how I possibly ruined his board.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:57 pm 

Ouch. I hope the board improves.

A little info... I have two Boardsmith boards. I know from notes Dave sent that the boards probably require very little (or no) initial oil. Dave says he submerges the boards in a mineral oil bath then dries them for 12 hours, and buffs them with a heavy coat of Board Butter, so they arrive pretty moisturized. More oil or butter at the outset isn't necessary. He warns that it is possible to over-oil, and that too much time under running water could cause the board to arch upwards.

Best wishes....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:08 pm 

I'm confident it will improve. There is just too much moisture on the other end now so once I let that dry out it should fix itself. I can always do the wet grass/summer sun thing I've been reading about. Just really sucks that I waited 3 months to only mess it up in the first hour. Oh well, now I know.

I only oiled it more because it kept soaking into the wood. I have a feeling it always will and that what my idea of oil pooling on the top differs from what it actually looks like when the oil is not absorbing.

Also surprised at how easily wood warps, even 2 inch thick boards. I just keep telling myself, when I get home from work in 8 hours it is going to be back to normal. It is going to live in my bedroom tonight with the AC unit blasting all night.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:01 pm 

robenco15 wrote:I'm confident it will improve. There is just too much moisture on the other end now so once I let that dry out it should fix itself. I can always do the wet grass/summer sun thing I've been reading about. Just really sucks that I waited 3 months to only mess it up in the first hour. Oh well, now I know.

I only oiled it more because it kept soaking into the wood. I have a feeling it always will and that what my idea of oil pooling on the top differs from what it actually looks like when the oil is not absorbing.

Also surprised at how easily wood warps, even 2 inch thick boards. I just keep telling myself, when I get home from work in 8 hours it is going to be back to normal. It is going to live in my bedroom tonight with the AC unit blasting all night.

Hopefully the advice from Boardsmith will straighten out your board, a light coat of oil with a paper towel when a board is starting to look dry is what I personally due, when boards are new they generally soak up more oil and then much less as time goes on. I remember reading somewhere to lightly oil a new board once a day for the first week, than once a week for the next month then occasionally after that as it needs it, And that's what I do and have never had a problem. I still find it odd that your thick end grain board is moving and warping that much. I have oiled my boards plenty and washed them plenty (2 inch think end grain, not Boardsmith) and they have never warped at all. Maybe place a layer of dry rice or something that pulls out moisture on it and keep it in low humidity for a while till it dries out and see how it looks. The board will naturally dry out with time also from use and washing and drying. Let us now how it goes. Best of luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:31 pm 

Thanks. Good idea about the rice! I need to see if I have some.

I am also amazed at how much it has warped. The initial warp, which was pretty significant, occurred because I washed the surface with hot water and soap. I didn't soak it, just rinsed it down and scrubbed it. Figured it would be the smart thing to do as it is a new product that I would be putting food on often. That apparently was enough. Then I rinsed the back and it now warped the other way. I can only imagine what is happening as it sits on my kitchen counter top in my humid apartment for the next 7 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have boards between 1 1/4" thick and 1.5" thick, end grain that I was with hot soapy water, dry with a towel and let dry on edge that haven't moved at all. Most of these are Black Walnut, which seams to soak up less oil than some of the other boards I have or borders on the boards in cherry or maple?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:02 pm 

Yeah I think it was a combination of a new environment, me washing it with hot water, me loading the thing up with a ton of oil, during this time cooking dinner in an already hot apartment, therefore raising the temperature, then opening the door to the outside in the kitchen to cool the kitchen down, only to find the outside to be hot, humid, and a downpour of rain. Then I threw it in front of my window AC unit. Then I washed the back of it with hot water, but with too much to now warp it the other way. I think it just needs a day or two to let the moisture evaporate.

I am buying a big bag of rice. Going to line a baking sheet with rice, lay the board on it with the curved end up and then layer that end with rice. Leave it in my air conditioned bedroom overnight and I think that should help. If nothing changes then I will let it stand on its end for a few days.

If none of that works then Dave asked me to call him and report back so I'll take it from there.

When I get back tonight I'm practically expecting it to be a complete "U" and just be rocking back and forth on my counter, haha

Page 6 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next