It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:39 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 12 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cutting board wood
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:54 pm 

Ummm... Put the board in the oven and set to Self Clean?

Seriously, this has become a cringe thread. Resolve to not do anything more to clean the board beyond wiping until New Years. The board will thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:01 pm 

Self clean! I haven't thought of that. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

I really think you have a bad board. I generally will wipe my edge grain Boos and end grain Jones cutting board (jones-cutting-board-t5816-40.html) with wet/dry paper towels or bar towel. If they need it, I'll wash quickly w/soap & water then dry and set vertically on edge to dry. I've had no issues at all.

The instructions on the Jones end grain do say to wash both sides of the board then dry on edge. I'm sure this is to minimize the chances for warping.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:10 pm 

I think the self clean idea should do it.

I also think the board is fine and I haven't given it enough time to fully dry. In retrospect I definitely overwashed it. I think I'm babying it and it doesn't need that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:28 pm 

Noooooooooo! The self clean was a joke!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:46 pm 

Haha, gotcha. Of course I wouldn't do that. I'm not thag dumb.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:29 pm 

Robenco, if your just cutting a onion, cucumber, tomato or any vegetable, a wipe with a wet or slightly soapy paper towel is enough. If you're cutting protein that's different (I use a separate board for that) But I have to agree with SteveG. I think you have a bad board, that board is consistently warping and warping pretty severely. I have washed my endgrain boards plenty and they have never moved an inch. I think it's great you tried to resolve the problem on your own, but I think it's time for a call to Boardsmith.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:48 pm 

Thank you and I definitely understand what you are saying. For now, I am going to let it go and try not to baby it as much. There is a 60 day warranty so I have time. I don't think it has gotten a fair chance since as soon as I got it I more or less soaked it with water which caused all of the oil to run out of it and introduced way too much moisture into the board. I don't think it has ever been fully dry since then and probably needs some more oil as I washed away so much of it. I'm going to go the wiping off with a paper towel route for awhile to make sure I don't introduce any excessive moisture back into the wood and to give it a fair chance to dry. I appreciate the response and have definitely made sure to keep the original packing box and information as I do trust everyone's opinions on here.

You say I have a bad board, does that mean the wood just happens to be extra absorbent? Isn't wood wood? I think I tortured it unknowingly when I first got it and it hasn't ever been the same. I also didn't oil the sides or the underside until after I fixed it initially, but it didn't occur to me that it is severely under oiled as I washed so much of it out earlier.

Apologies to Swarfy for continuing this thread but if someone is kind enough to reply to it then I should give them a response.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Rob, wood is subject to so much natural variation in qualities, it could just be the combination of whatever wood blocks were used to assemble the board that is causing the warping. Personally, I'd call that severe warping based on your photos.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:12 pm 

I agree. But it went back to being entirely flat. I started using and lightly washing it right away then and I think it was still too wet inside the wood so it slightly warped again. There was also no oil to protect it, as I rinsed it away by mistake. No matter how good the board, you can't soak it with steaming hot running water and expect it not to warp, right? Especially if one side was bone dry and the other side soaked.

Page 12 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next