It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 11 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cutting board wood
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:45 am 

ROBENCO, that's great, awesome news. When it comes time and it's looking dry just use a paper towel with mineral oil to put a coat on the cutting board. One bottle of mineral oil should last you a long time. As far as washing, 1 wet soapy towel followed by a clean wet one and then dry has always worked good for me (I don't cut raw protein on mine though).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:50 am 

I would still call David and let him know all is well, I'm sure he'd like to know. Glad is all worked out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:03 am 

Yes, that's great news. Time was all that was needed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:06 am 

Oh I will definitely be calling Dave tomorrow to thank him for his recommendation that ended up fixing it.

Used it for dinner tonight, sliced up a cooked hanger steak. Such a wonderful board.

Now I need to buy the Konosuke HD2 I've been waiting to get. I finally have a board that is worthy of that knife!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:18 pm 

I'm also glad that it all worked out.

I like to do a couple doses of mineral oil, and then when the board is pretty well oiled, do the last coat with some type of board butter, which is a combination of oil and beeswax. The addition of the beeswax makes the treatment more durable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:36 pm 

robenco15 wrote:Oh I will definitely be calling Dave tomorrow to thank him for his recommendation that ended up fixing it.

Used it for dinner tonight, sliced up a cooked hanger steak. Such a wonderful board.

Now I need to buy the Konosuke HD2 I've been waiting to get. I finally have a board that is worthy of that knife!

Go for the knife! This was exactly my first path into this forum and CKTG. Bought a board from Dave and loved it, which led me to thinking anew about knives. Joined the forum, and wound up with the same Konosuke HD2 that you are considering. I could not be happier.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:03 pm 

So quick question, do you guys always wash your board with soap and water? I have been doing it after everything I cut (between sessions, not between product, haha). No matter how little water I use (I take a soapy sponge and squeeze the water out so there is only a enough to aid in the soap being spread over the board) the board is still warping. I'm not freaking out about it because it does go back to normal 12 to 24 hours later (and the warp is pretty slight), but should I just not bother washing my board and just wipe off the juice from a pineapple, or juice from a cooked steak? Then sterilize it with a bleach mixture once a week or so?

I have done what has been recommended to me above, soapy rag, damp rag, dry rag, and then I take my bench scraper and scrape off any more moisture still there. Still getting a slight warp. It also may need more than 24 hours to completely dry from the slight warp, but it isn't bad enough that I can't use it, and well I want to use it! Especially with my new knife!

Not trying to get sick, but as it is my first wooden board, don't know if I'm going overboard with the constant washing and therefore warping.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:01 am 

Mine is washed with a damp soapy sponge during dinner clean up each time it is used. Did I scrub the heck out of it? No. I washed the food particles off of it like one would expect when you are cleaning a thing (regardless of material). I never had or noticed the issues you speak of, but if it's dirty wash it. I never babied mine. To me the greatest concern with a wooden cutting board is having it dry out and split at the seams from a period of years of non-maintenance ( I have a few like this). If your board is noticeably warping and it's not some minuscule thing that you are obsessing over because of your recent trials then I think something is off not related to basic cleaning.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:03 am 

yeah I don't know what's going on. Maybe I never let is completely dry when it flattened out so it isn't taking much water to warp. It was a slight warp, but the more I used it the more water was introduced and then the warping got a little more severe. I know it is going to go back to normal so I'm not worried as much but I won't be using water and soap to wash it unless there is meat or cooked meat juices on it. I cut up a tomato and after getting it off with a bench scraper I just washed everything off with a dry paper towel and then took the bench scraper to it again.

I'm away for 3 or 4 days this week so it will have plenty of time to completely dry out too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:34 pm 

I realized late last night that it probably warped again because I washed it a whole bunch this weekend. I just got a Konosuke HD2 so I couldn't sit still. Cut tomatos, washed it, later did onions, washed it, did more onions later, washed it, did another tomato, washed it. I should probably just wipe it down with a dry paper towel until night comes and I am completly finished, then take the soapy damp sponge to it.

There are also some staining from meat juices but I'll fix that with salt, lemon, and baking powder. Unless you all know of a different/better way.

Page 11 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next