It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:04 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cutting board size vs size of knife?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:43 pm 

For the experienced out there I have a question, I've just received my first end grain cutting board , it's a 450mm x 450mm board, I'm a home cook with moderate knife skills.
What is the ideal Gyuto blade length to work on this size board?
210mm, 240mm, 270mm

I have medium size hands and prefer the Wa handle, and use the pinch grip

Thanks, Allen

Post subject: Re: Cutting board size vs size of knife?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:05 pm 

I was always told that if the knife fit diagonally on the board without going over at either corner, then the board was big enough for the knife. The overall length of most 270mm gyutos I've seen is less than 450mm (often around 410-420) so by this logic it should be no problem on a board of this size.

I prefer using a 240mm and my primary board is only 12" by 18", or roughly 300mm x 460mm. So a 240mm would certainly be a fine size on yours.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Allen, for us Yanks, that's about 17.7" x 17.7" :-).

Some have said if you can fit the knife diagonally on the board, corner to corner, then the board is large enough for that knife.

Based on the boards I've used, I think a 240/245/250 would work well on your board. A 270 might be pushing it a little. I also like to consider how much work space I have around the board for setting down the knife off the board if needed, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:25 pm 

Thanks for the quick answers, my main knife is 210 Gyuto , but was considering a 240/270 for cutting cabbage and other large veg

@Steve , had a feeling the metric sizes would create some humour/humor.....lol
Diagonal it's 620mm/24.4” so I'm safe!

I must say this board function very well , it's made out of our local wood called "Kiaat"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm getting much better at converting mm/inches and grams/ounces in my head after doing all the knife videos and measurements/conversions ;-). For yours, I pulled up the Google conversion page :-).

Glad you like the board.

Unless you really want to go extra long, for me, a full size 240/245 Gyuto with some weight to the blade performs great on cabbage and larger products.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:24 pm 

I usually use my Masamoto KS or Victorinox 10" Chefs for cabbage and they both run 255mm. I go for a LONG 240(something that hits 250+) or a 270 gyuto for the big stuff like cabbage. Your board should handle it ok.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:10 am 

SteveG wrote:I'm getting much better at converting mm/inches and grams/ounces in my head after doing all the knife videos and measurements/conversions ;-). For yours, I pulled up the Google conversion page :-).

Glad you like the board.

Unless you really want to go extra long, for me, a full size 240/245 Gyuto with some weight to the blade performs great on cabbage and larger products.

Oddly enough, we are pretty good at converting inches to mm, just multiply by 25.4 to get mm,
I often use inches to measure things in my mind if I don't have a ruler or tape measure.
Standard measurement I use is the width of my palm 4" or a 300mm ruler is approx 12 inches

I think my next knife is a 240 in Stainless....might also try a pm steel.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

I like larger knives, especially if I am breaking down produce from places like Costco that have larger quantities. For this my favorite is a 330 mm Tojiro DP. For me a 270 is just not that big. I also use the heel for small stuff - chillis etc and find I don't have to lift the blade as high for this. For slicing up cabbage, I like something that easily slices through the head.

A lot of home cooks like 240's and women like santokus. It's just a matter of what feels right for you. In Japan, 270's are less common.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:30 pm 

"my favorite is a 330 mm Tojiro DP"

Damn Ken, do you do anything the same way as the rest of us? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:08 am 

cedarhouse wrote:"my favorite is a 330 mm Tojiro DP"

Damn Ken, do you do anything the same way as the rest of us? ;)

Thanks Cedar but can't buy Tojiro, international customer , they don't ship

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next