It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 6 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Custom knife blocks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:43 pm 

Todd, I'm interested, just sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:14 am 

I have no experience with custom knife blocks or this vendor but these look very nice

http://www.vermontbutcherblock.com/page ... uct-design

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:24 am 

To be totally honest, the clutter for large blocks is an issue. I worked in a kitchen that kept some twenty house knives in one block. It was extremely frustrating trying to reach one specifically or feng shui it into a shape that let me grab what I wanted quickly.

For a given meal one might use six or seven knives maximum. I would think optimum storage to be something like a larger container in which you had the knives arranged in their marked boxes and a smaller block on the counter holding six or eight knives in rotation. The larger space might have some framework a la a case of wine. Might even be a former case of wine. If you used a knife for a meal, you could consider swapping it out while cleaning up.

If you do decide to commission megablock, you might try to incorporate the block into a drawer or cabinet. Much like the little trash cans built on rollers, you could pull it out and save a lot of counter space. I can't imagine it being more expensive than some of the other options on the table.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:31 pm 

Lepus wrote:To be totally honest, the clutter for large blocks is an issue. I worked in a kitchen that kept some twenty house knives in one block. It was extremely frustrating trying to reach one specifically or feng shui it into a shape that let me grab what I wanted quickly.

For a given meal one might use six or seven knives maximum. I would think optimum storage to be something like a larger container in which you had the knives arranged in their marked boxes and a smaller block on the counter holding six or eight knives in rotation. The larger space might have some framework a la a case of wine. Might even be a former case of wine. If you used a knife for a meal, you could consider swapping it out while cleaning up.

If you do decide to commission megablock, you might try to incorporate the block into a drawer or cabinet. Much like the little trash cans built on rollers, you could pull it out and save a lot of counter space. I can't imagine it being more expensive than some of the other options on the table.

Lepus....

I've scaled back the design of the "Megaloden" block to something which I think is more reasonable. Interesting that you mentioned that they used a large block in one of the kitchens you worked at, I was even aware that they used blocks in commercial kitchens!

And for clarity, this block is being designed for a home kitchen, for someone like those reading these very forums, and probably has more than 2 or 3 knives. ;-)

The block that I have just finished designing, was built with a good number of slots to hold a 240 gyuto, which is probably what floats most peoples boats on this board.

The block has been designed with slots to hold:
11 240 gyuto sized blades (top 6 slots should be deep enough to hold a 270 yanagiba)
6 210 size gyuto/nakiri sized blades
2 lower height blades
11 steak/petty type blades
1 honing rod
1 kitchen shears
1 herb scissors

More to come.

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:57 pm 

We had a large sheet metal and plastic block for our (extremely nice) house knives. It was light and easy to move for cleaning. The entire thing was hollow and the knife blades were poorly protected.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:12 pm 

Folks...

I'll be posting here hopefully by the end of Saturday or Sunday with some information on a custom knife block.

The problem with most knife blocks is that they cater to a "standard" knife set. The type of knife set you get as a wedding gift...the type of knives that most (won't speak for all here, but seems to be a consensus) here have moved on from. These blocks hold 1 or 2 Chef sized (240 gyuto) type blades, a honing rod, and some additional slots for other knives. For my own purposes, and I feel I'm not alone on this board, the blade of choice seems to be a 240 gyuto. A standard block that you would walk in a buy at a store, simply does not fulfill those needs.

As you know, I started this thread because I wanted a nice, high quality block to hold my collection. I am not in the industry, but rather am a home cook with a love for sharp things, and very nice things. ;-)

I knew going in, that for the size of the block I wanted, and for the quality that I expect, this would a very pricey proposition, so I've saved up and have been planning for probably over a year.

I've ended up partnering with a master craftsman who was intrigued by this project, and is well aware of the CKtG community. A craftsman who puts pride in his work, and for whom "good enough" isn't. So the quality will be tops. For those out there, that have some countertop space available (you can dump your old block!), and fit into the category of owning more than 2 gyutos (LOL), watch this space for an update.

This craftsman will be setting up to do a run of these blocks at certain price. At the risk of sounding like I'm selling something (I am not, and am getting mine regardless if there is any other interest). Not putting words into anyone's mouth, but this will probably be a one time run. Meaning, this will probably be the only run occurring at this price point. If there are even any runs after this, they most likely would be at a higher price point.

If you've ever dreamed of owning a nice block that would better showcase your knives, watch this thread. I know I probably sound like I'm trying to sell something, but I receive no discount for this or anything like that. I will paying and getting one.

Woodworking is all in the setup. Once this craftsman gets everything set up, he will do a run. Once that run is complete, any new requests will require a new setup. In my own mind, not putting words in anyone's mouth, he may never do these again, as it's been a long road.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

P.S. Just giving everyone a heads up for those who may want to get in on this opportunity as the design should be finalized soon, and I will post the details and price (astoundingly low, from my perspective as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:34 am 

Can't wait to see the updates and design :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:18 pm 

I have 2 knife blocks and neither will hold my 240 Gyuto. Watching this space :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:34 pm 

Waiting with anticipation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:09 am 

I am also struggling with the best way to store my knives, I will subscribe to this thread and look forward to seeing what you come up with. I may even be interested in purchasing.

Right now they live in their boxes in a drawer, not the handiest solution but safe and inexpensive.

Mike

Page 2 of 6 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next