It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:38 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Complement to Shapton Pros
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:39 pm 

I have been using a set of Shapton Pro stones (320, 1000, 2000, 5000) as my core sharpening set. The stones work fine and I can now take a dull pocket knife and make it able to push cut paper. I am interested in adding a sharpening set that would have a different 'feel' than the Shaptons. Have thought about the Choseras, but not sure how different they might be. Also looked at some of the Nubatamas, but find the array of different types (Bamboo, Ume, Speckled, etc) to be confusing. Probably would like to get something around 1-2000 and then some thing finer. Thanks for the assistance.

Post subject: Re: Complement to Shapton Pros
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:14 am 

Craig,

here are some video reviews on some of the nubatamas.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kenneths123/videos

pat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:09 am 
Forum Moderator

Both the Chocera and Nubatama stones feel quite different from the Shapton Pro stones which both give you a good bit more feedback.

In the 1000 grit range the Nubatamas have a very large range of choices - from the super soft 1200 Bamboo to the Super hard double hard Ume speckled 1k (not listed on CKTG). For most general purpose knife sharpening I usually suggest the 1k speckled Ume stone in Medium hardness - listed on CKTG, which is right inbetween the Shapton and Chocera 1k stones. Don't be overly concerned with the designations Ume and Bamboo or black or speckled etc. Think of them as just being unique identifiers for each stone so we are talking about the same stone. The 2k speckled Ume is pretty much an undiscovered stone so far.

If you need any help navigating through the large selection of 1k range Nubatama stones, just call me up. 209 612 2790.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Craig, two that I would suggest you try are the Nubatama 1K Speckled Ume (Medium) as Ken mentioned and also the Suehiro Rika 5K. They both represent a different sharpening experience from the Shapton Pro stones. I particularly like my Rika 5K. As Melampus has commented to me, "it's a bonafide superstar".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:02 pm 

I have used Shapton Pros as my core stones for a very long time. I recently bought a few Choceras before the price increases and have to say that I do like then an awful lot! My Pros may be in jeopardy of losing their #1 status. It was bad enough before but Choceras do have some serious sticker shock to them now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:43 pm 

Thank you to all for the recommendations.

Steve is this the Ume stone you are recommending?
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nubatamaume1k1.html

Any idea when these might be in stock again?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]