It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:25 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Coffee Setup
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:18 am 

Figured Cooking was a better category then General was wondering what everyone's coffee setup is?

My Setup:
1. Ascaso Basic Espresso machine modded with an Ascaso Dream brew head
2. Aeropress with S Filter from Kaffeologie (stainless steel filter attachment)
3. Sowden Softbrew

The Ascaso is my everyday go to. The Sowden is usually my weekend brewer. I use it for making a cold brew. Cold water in the refrigerator for 12-16 hours. Then pour over ice. The Aeropress is the the ultimate travel device and I use it went I want to make an incredible obnoxiously strong coffee. As the Aeropress can make a strong cup but still be completely clean and silky smooth. I use an espresso fine ground for all 3 setups too.

My personal preference is I avoid bright coffees and I try to use locally roasted coffees. Here are my 3 local roasters I use:
http://www.onevillagecoffee.com/
http://greenstreetcoffee.com/
http://www.burlapandbean.com/purchase.htm

Ascaso
Aeropress
S Filter
Sowden

Post subject: Re: Coffee Setup
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 am 

Looks expensive. I use a French press when I make coffee; you're so far beyond me, but your setup sounds amazing.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:08 am 

Not a coffee drinker by habit but when the occasion arises, French press if my wife is having any, Moka pot if it is just me.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:13 am 

I worked as a barista on and off for about 3 years - one of my favorite things I've ever done and still a subject I love talking about to anyone who will listen (so, very few people). There is nothing better than an expertly made espresso drink and nothing that makes my blood crawl more than it being screwed up majorly. I cringe at the sound of milk oversteaming and I find it hard to not be saddened when a "cappuccino" arrives with a millimeter of foam on top.

At home, my setup is nothing fancy. I live by myself so what's ended up working best for my morning coffee has been the K-cup machine. For guests I pull out the French press or the Bialetti Moka pot. I do hear great things about the Aeropress though.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:49 am 

Aeropress is such a great coffee maker I was blown away. Its like 25 bucks too. You don't need to buy the stainless filter it comes with like 300 count of paper filters. I just found it annoying to travel with the paper filters. The Aeropress is usually used at the coffee championships as well. I forget which year someone actually made the coffee in the aeropress but then added an espresso shot. It was something pretty insane. The S Filter I got off of their kickstarter pretty cheap think it was around $10 at the time. Amazon sells it for $18 now.

The Sowden is $40-50 depending where you get it from. I got it on Amazon. You can make French Press style coffee in the Sowden as well. You can use a French Press grind but you can use a fine grind as well. Once your pour the 195-200 degree water in the Sowden then just wait your 4-8 minutes brew time and pull out the fine metal filter. The coffee isn't 100% clean like the Aeropress but it is significantly cleaner than a French Press. I just use mine for cold brew as I am addicted to that on the weekend.

The Ascaso I got a really good deal from Seattle Coffee Gear. I actually ordered a different unit then it got back ordered and forgotten. It was like 45 days later I was billed and had no product. So they ended up sending the Ascaso Basic at the same price. At the time should have cost like $250-$300 but I got it around $175 cause of their mess up. Later I upgraded the brew head to the Ascaso Dream European brew head that was around $40.

Boss Lady did you also perform manual pour overs as a barista? If so please elaborate I was thinking of a manual pour over for my next setup or a vacuum pot. At some point I need a Turkish setup too ahhh.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:35 pm 

Does the three way solenoid valve make a difference?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:26 am 

Bodum French Press every morning . Italian or Cuban expresso coffee for me. I also make a pot of English or Irish breakfast tea for my wife . After doing the early morning breakfast beverage routine for over 40 years together it seems to be still working!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:58 am 

Syndcatenova a 3 way solenoid will give you a drier and tighter "puck".

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:14 am 
Forum Moderator

The Nespresso CitiZ was just too efficient an expresso/cappucino for me to not purchase mine back in 2009 when I first saw the Cube in an Estate I worked in Southampton, Long Island. The second I made it into the City, I grabbed one at Zabars for like $250, and it's been pumpin ever since. Yes, sacrilegious to some, but just too efficient for me to deny.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:31 am 

whosthebestcop wrote:Boss Lady did you also perform manual pour overs as a barista? If so please elaborate I was thinking of a manual pour over for my next setup or a vacuum pot. At some point I need a Turkish setup too ahhh.

Alas, I did not. This was back in 2007-ish before pour-overs became all the rage. I hear it's something I should sample, though...

Page 1 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next