It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coffee Setup
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:04 am 

Melampus....
I would say if you are going to use anything that efficient and quick then Nespresso is the way to go. Their newer models even have steam wands with panarello. I believe the names is the Maestria. Now some people will say it will never make that perfect cup aka "god shot"but it will also never make a bad cup or an average cup either. It will constantly give you an above average cup. Plus you can get the capsules on amazon and ebay now where as years ago you had to go to mail order route from Nespresso.

Of course someone with a grinder and say a Rancho Silvia who is experienced could probably make the god shot but they spent around $2000 and countless hours mastering the art.

I would suggest a lot of small food establishments that serve espresso should switch to Nespresso because it is almost impossible for their staff not to make an awful shot espresso.

Boss Lady
I know the manual pour over has been all the rage in Philly the last year or so. Some coffee shops even offer the option of the Aeropress.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:39 am 
Forum Moderator

WHO'S <> I concur.

Furthermore, my CitiZ has the Aeroccino milk frother built-in to the unit so I'm good to go until this unit dies... then I'll worry about my next then. {knock on wood} :?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:56 am 

One more thing about the 3 way solenoid not only does the machine have to be descaled but it has to be back flushed with descale solution. And you need the special back flush insert

My friend had the Rancilio Silvia and never knew he needed to back flush. It didn't end well. New boiler and electric work.

Now my machine doesn't have a solenoid but I descale once a month. My favorite is Urnex Full Circle Biodegradable Coffee and Espresso Equipment Descaling Liquid

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:40 am 

My "coffee station" history...

My coffee stations started as rebellion, after being raised by my late mother, who believed Maxwell House crystals in a jar, added to boiling water, made the best coffee in the world. Where could I go but up?

Got my first espresso machine (a strange "reverse pressure" thing) decades ago.

Fifteen years ago, I found my beloved ECM Giotto, and used it heavily for many years, along with a Mazzer Mini grinder. Figured it was the final stage in my 30-year espresso progression. Nirvana!

LOL--I am now in the Melampus camp, with little apology. Wound up working for a place that sold Nespresso machines and after a few early (and private) disparaging thoughts about anything involving capsules, I realized it made a darned acceptable espresso. Bought a Nespresso Pixie, albeit at a great discount. Like whosthebestcop said, not the elusive gold shot. But it always gets the predictable and honorable bronze medal, in an instant, with no delayed gratification. I do return to the Gioto from time to time, especially when it is a leisurely day and I have found some incredible blend. But the Nespresso is so darned easy, and many of the blends are quite pleasant.

last Giotto.jpg [133.13 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

last pixie.jpg [108.13 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:43 am 

Drat. I think I mucked up my first CKTG image upload.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:54 am 

I'm not familiar with the ECM Giotto but I am familiar with their Rocket. I would guess it is probably along those lines so it has to be one serious piece of hardware. It looks like the rockets grandfather.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:30 am 

The Rocket replaced the ECM. They are almost identical. Mine had been a refurbished customer return and I was thrilled to get it at a good (relatively speaking) price. It has held up remarkably and will hopefully be with me for the rest of my life. It lives on the countertop in a grudging partnership with the Nespresso Pixie.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:06 am 

Here is my attempt at a layered cappuccino. The Bialetti stovetop was not used in the making of this. Think it was being used as a paper weight.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:16 am 
Forum Moderator

Love my coffee as well.

Espresso, cuppachino & latte being my favorites.

My setup....

:)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:38 am 

Is that the delonghi that takes capsules? I've only seen them online before. Which capsules do they use? I know delonghi also makes machines for nespresso capsules. Thought they kind of look like the pixies so was curios if yours also took nespresso capsules or other capsules.

Woa the Z5 your not playing any games damn, that was like the top of line super automatic in its day. I believe it had 1 touch buttons for espresso, latte, cappuccino, and macchiatos. does all of your milk for you too.

Page 2 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next