It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: >> CLASSIFIEDS <<
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

MARK <> Have you considered adding a classified section here?

Post subject: Re: >> CLASSIFIEDS <<
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

I would be happy to do this.

Let's get some feedback on this.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

MARK <> Personally, I know I have sold off blades in the past to purchase anew. Sometimes they just don't fit, and you never know until you have spent adequate time working with them through a busy week or two. Personally, I need at least three times on the stones before I can make a judgement as to how it acts when I do this or when I do that. First impressions are great, but an average over time is more telling to me. Way too late to return, but still perfectly new knives.

Really, it's why I'm so specific in my purchasing requisites. I know what works for me after 20+ years in a kitchen, but I am willing to see how different styles and profiles fit me. Some I enjoy adapting to... some end up to be useless for me. It's nice to be able to sell them off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:21 pm 

Here is a very simple suggestion to keep things hopefully safer for all parties involved.

This idea comes from another forum I am a member of, on that particular forum you have to have a minimum post count of 50 to post something for sale, and you can post in the classifieds saying you want to buy something if you don't have 50.

But occasionally you will see a person every now and then that will post a bunch of bs posts to get to 50 and right when they hit 50 they go straight to the classifieds and end up abusing it in some way. The post count limit also helps moderators see if they are a true contributing member of the forum as well. The forum I am referring to is www.Brianenos.com

If you have no way to keep these scumbags out you will have people join and post up like 50 knives they bought for 50 cents a piece off the home shopping network.

So I think the person should be a contributing member of the forum. In my opinion if some kind of regulation isn't there it will get abused and some people could get ripped off.

Also since this is obviously free to use and you will be putting time and effort into connecting people with other like minded people to make a transaction, people should be able to donate a couple bucks to the forum. Maybe on the honor system or what not, but for example if you sell a $1000 dollar knife on here, that means the forum helped you get your sale so I think a small amount should be donated to the forum. I'm not proposing a set fee or anything, but generally running a forum does take time/money and in my mind it would just be a nice gesture.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent suggestions Brian. I like the minimum post idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

I like all the points he raises, but maybe the moderators could be the gatekeepers only allowing known contributors in to alleviate the bogus post issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Is this a big problem? I have almost no experience with classified forums.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:53 pm 

my thought would be to put the section up, and if it becomes a problem you can limit it by post count/approval

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Done. Let's see how it goes. I'm willing to tweak things as we go...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Would having a designated "middle-man" help at all?

I'd be willing to hold any knives that are for sale on classifieds, and even do the photo-shoots for them. It would be like a "certified pre-owned" knife retailer. I would get the knife, notify the buyer that the knife is good, then ship the knife to the buyer once payment has cleared to the seller.

Also, I would offer this service free of charge, but then both parties will have to pay shipping (seller to me, buyer from me)... so we're talking a few bucks extra to the seller.. which is cheap for guaranteed security and satisfaction on your transaction IMO. I have no clue if this would help at all, thoughts? :?:

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next