It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:39 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 8 of 9 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clad Knives
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:59 pm 

gladius wrote:There is the $122 Shapton Glass 1k & 4k starter set...

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sh2pcstset.html

How do the glass stones compare to the Pro?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:00 pm 

The Arashiyama set, which I don't see available anymore had a 1k and a 6k stone that work really well. I added a Latte 400 grit to it for around $60, the whole kit ended up around $160 with Diamond plate, stone holder, the 3 stones, a loupe and felt block.

I will say though, since getting the Shapton 1.5K on special, that stone is something else. It cuts super fast, is completely splash and go, and doesn't dish out like normal stones do, It has become a one stop sharpening experience on the house knives at work. It keeps them in good shape, but I would never do repair work or set a bevel on it, that would take days. The Shapton 1.5K pro with another stone, maybe 320, that would be a great tandem as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:23 pm 

The Shapton Glass (SG) starter set is great to accompany new knife purchases.
A lower grit of course is still required for general use.

I have only used the SG and they are responsive and cut very fast. I prefer them over my Choseras.

In speaking about straight razors with the proprietor of Precision Edge he said he finishes using 30k SG (full SG progression) for his razor sharpening service and stated he was surprised the Pro line was still used so much and termed it "old technology" compared to the SG line. Perhaps others with experience with both can chime in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:37 pm 

The Shapton Pros are the traditional ceramic stones meant to compete with Chosera's etc. Shapton recommends the glass stones for modern 'super steels'. For older steels, both stainless and carbon, the Pros are recommended, for what it is worth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

The glass stones cut stainless tool steels better. They also wear more slowly so the razor guys like them better since there is less dishing while working on the stone.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:45 pm 

SteveG wrote:Tom, I really like the Shapton 1.5K. It also works great as a final stone on softer steel knives that don't need further refinement. You'll need a coarse stone to pull the weight when cutting new bevels, sharpening dull knives, thinning, etc. Personally I like the Shapton Pro 320 or the Shapton Glass 500. It's not ideal, but if you spend a little more time on the 1.5K, it will refine the 320 scratch pattern just fine. It's a natural to follow the Glass 500. These are all splash and go.

Don't overlook the coarse stone if you're dealing with dull knives that need some work. If you're practicing, you're likely working on dull knives ;-).

To save some money, skip the sink bridge and use either the Shapton Pro stone case, which has a built in holder on the top, or get the universal stone holder/140 plate combo: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/xxcdiplandun.html. The Shapton Glass stones fit the holder on the Pro case BTW.

My Forschners which will be my practice knives are definitely dull. So much so that I almost bought a couple Dexters yesterday so I'd have knives to keep other people away from my prize J knives I'm purchasing now. :D

Part of the problem is I live in only an 1100 sq. ft condo with not much counter space for sharpening in my kitchen, which is the reason wanting a sink bridge. It just seems the most practical for my space. Think apartment kitchen.

Due to price I keep going back to this kit http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knshcoset.html and thinking about just keeping the stones in a plastic container filled with water under my sink so they are ready when I am. However, I'm still a little hesitant.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:19 pm 

Musings on Shapton Glass...

http://belgiansharpening.wordpress.com/ ... -edge-pro/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:21 pm 

The Glass stones are harder and apparently offer less useful feedback than the Pro stones, though I haven't used the Glass stones. I too have the Pro 1.5k and use it after an 800 grit stone to good effect. I have used it at work pretty often as a one stop shop as well. Many a Fibrox has come off that stone with a good edge. On my own German steel knives I use the Green Brick.

The set you linked is worthwhile, Tom, but it does need that soak. The more expensive Knife Fanatic set has some reeeeally nice stones in it too, but again, full soak. If space is a premium You might want to see when the Shaptons come back into stock or consider the Glass stones. Even if you don't like them, these stones would sell quickly to other buyers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:32 pm 

From an older thread...

"Harrelson Stanley (head of Shapton USA) recommends the Glass stones for most users. They're the new technology and they cut a wider variety of steels better than the pros." --Mark

shapton-pro-vs-shapton-glass-t980.html

and more Shapton musings...

http://belgiansharpening.wordpress.com/ ... periority/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:46 pm 

There is also a very good Shapton application chart at this link:

http://jendeindustries.wordpress.com/20 ... ss-series/

Page 8 of 9 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next