It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 9 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clad Knives
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:40 pm 

A few thoughts:

1) Can't comment on the Yoshikane, I have no experience with it

2) Carbon steels are not more prone to chipping. Chipping is caused by a number of factors: steel composition, hardness of the steel, quality of the heat treat, geometry at the edge, product you are cutting, cutting surface you are using, and your technique. Furthermore, chipping, or at least micro-chipping is a common and not catastrophic problem, it is part of the dulling process that is remedied by sharpening. To hedge your bets: get quality steels (if the steel is unknown or not published by the manufacturer, walk away), try to stay away from extremely hard steels (59-62 are common hardnesses), purchase from established makers (heat treat is probably the #1 issue with steel quality and experience is how you nail it, so buy from someone experienced), make sure you are using an end block cutting board, use a beater knife for extremely hard products which may apply excess stress on your knives, and lastly watch internet videos, ready books, and practice your knife skills so that you are not the weak link.

3) Carbon steels have to be absolutely abused to "rust away". There are three reasons people might want to stay away from carbon steels: a. if the knife is not kept clean a dry and periodically wiped during use it will discolor, may rust, and could pit, which would require buffing and polishing to clean up; b. some people do not like the aesthetics of a knife with a patina, for those individuals they will either need to polish their knife regularly to remove discoloration as it happens or stay away from carbon steels altogether; c. a carbon knife can react with foods to cause odors or off flavors, these tend to occur more often with low quality carbon steels or very reactive ingredients (acidic in particular).

In summation, it is unlikely that a carbon knife will be the nightmare some might imagine one to be, but we each have different tolerances for aesthetics, maintenance, etc, and hopefully. My hope is this will addresses some of your concerns such that you can make an informed decision about what would work best for you.

Good luck ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:49 am 

Tom, I can sympathize with your desire to get a new blade in a shorter time frame than three weeks as I've been shamefully impulsive with my own purchasing habits. That said, none of the knives I've bought are going to be my last. If this buy is indeed going to be your swan song, then wait for the Anryu. Given what you've said about cutting style and your desire for a bit of bling, not sure either requisite will be met with the Takayuki. Trusting Steve's review, the fit and finish on the handle will probably irk you and, it would seem that, the edge profile might not be flat enough for your style.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:17 am 

ChipB wrote:Tom, I can sympathize with your desire to get a new blade in a shorter time frame than three weeks as I've been shamefully impulsive with my own purchasing habits. That said, none of the knives I've bought are going to be my last. If this buy is indeed going to be your swan song, then wait for the Anryu. Given what you've said about cutting style and your desire for a bit of bling, not sure either requisite will be met with the Takayuki. Trusting Steve's review, the fit and finish on the handle will probably irk you and, it would seem that, the edge profile might not be flat enough for your style.

I've got to say that I sincerely appreciate your candid comments - people these days are all too often worried about hurting each others itty bitty feelings and don't do this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:23 am 
Forum Moderator

Tom, the Anryu is at a different level than the Takayuki you're considering - in so many ways. The only thing comparable to the Anryu right now is the Kurosaki Megumi Hammed 240, but it's $60 more. Your patience WILL be rewarded.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:45 pm 

Okay, you all are likely going to think I've lost my mind - however I can't lose what I don't have.

Anyway I've read some great things about the Japanese TOJIRO Shirogami 240mm Gyutos. At how cheap they are if I really like it I could always have it re-handled with something a lot nicer or do it myself it is not to difficult and clean up up fit and finish issues by rounding out the spine...etc. I sure wouldn't be out much if I messed it up. I actually like the aesthetics of the knife a lot.

What you all think - should I just shoot myself and put myself our your and my misery?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:58 pm 

The Tojiro Shirogami line is clad in a highly reactive steel. They discolor and leave smells until you get a good patina on them, and even then they're famous for rusting as you watch. I wouldn't consider it.

The suggestions made to this point have been for a reason. If you want to expand your search, that's fine. A lot of people have strong feelings about their knife selection that could be substantially relaxed. But that is not the knife you want.

Last edited by Lepus on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:03 pm 

At under $100 the Richmond GT Artifex Wa-Gyuto will be the one you want.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:16 pm 

Lepus,
Were you referring to the Tojiro or to the Artifex?
Is there a better selection under $100?

Tom,
You would do best to wait for the Anryu (your patience will be rewarded) unless you really NEED a 240 now. Then get what you really want from the selection in stock.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:33 pm 

I would not endorse the Shirogami. I fully agree the Artifex is an optimal budget wa.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

TOM <> ANRYU B#2 IN STOCK... <--link

Page 5 of 9 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next