It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:35 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 9 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clad Knives
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:31 pm 

OK, given what you cook and and your cutting technique, it sounds like you may like a solid middle weight knife with a long flat section on the edge, blade bias in terms of balance with convex grind (maybe not too convex if you are going to use the knife for slicing duty). I've never used it, or can comment on the edge profile, but it does sound like the Anryu fits the bill. Others who have more experience with a broader range of knives can probably continue to suggest various blades in various steels that might fit the bill. Another one that I have not used, but would love to try myself (and I have similar requirements in knife design) is the Sukenari Ginsan http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sugi240gy.html. Again, it's hard to tell what the edge profile will be like from pictures, but this does look like it will be really nice to chop with. It is stainless, but per your preference, it is Ginsan which, as estayton mentioned, is japanese steel.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:34 pm 

I sure wish the forum an edit button. During the week I also do a lot of pan searing, frying...of quick evening meals.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:40 pm 

TomWilson wrote:I sure wish the forum an edit button...

Tom --> how-to-enable-editing-of-posts-for-newbies-t6905.html

Chip....you forgot the bling.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:45 pm 

RE: "...I want 240mm Gyuto that is a workhorse ...I've been leaning heavily toward the Goko recommended...I'm going to have to learn how to sharpen..."

Here is a great combination from the above recommended knives...
You have a workhorse Gyoto, an Anryu petty, the slicer and a great set of stones for ~$500 (your budget) and all good performers:

190 Goko 240 Gyoto
110 Masakage Mizu Petty 150mm
82 Fujiwara Carbon Sujihiki 270mm
123 Shapton 2pc Starter Set
===
$505

Shapton 2pc Starter Set
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sh2pcstset.html

RE:"... I intend for this be my last knife purchase..."

Until the fever sets in :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:52 pm 

Jeff B wrote:
Chip....you forgot the bling.

There needs to be a slapping own head emoticon. Well, I think that Suk looks pretty damn sexy :) but you're right, maybe not decorative enough. Have to say, it aint easy to think of an alternative to the Anryu given those requirements and price constraints, in any steel really.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:01 pm 

ChipB and Gladius thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just going to have to talk to Mark and see when he expects the Anryu to come in - as I really think that's the one I want.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Tom, if you really want the Anryu, it will be worth the wait. Don't jump the gun. Batches seem to arrive fairly regularly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:05 pm 

Tom, I think a lot of people will applaud that decision. If this is your last japanese knife, make it the one that really speaks to you!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:36 pm 

I agree. If that is what you want, anything else will feel like a compromise.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:19 pm 

Mark told he his wild guess is 3-weeks on Anryu, so I'm back to searching.

I realize this is is Swedish AEB-L steel, but I find myself going back to this knife http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy240.html. Yes I realize I said earlier no Swedish steel. Any info and

Though you all have when I asked about previously seemed to steer me back toward Stainless clad. The problem is I've found a couple others I like aesthetically as much as the Anryu on CKTG and elsewhere that were stainless clad, but they too are out of stock or too far for comfort out of my price range.

I sometimes think I should just consider all Carbon as a option. I have to admit I'm a little worried about it out on me and though I can afford I would be quite bummed if my prize knife/knives rusted out on me, because as I've mentioned before I plan on these J knives being my last knife purchase. I'm also a bit concerned about chipping.

Since this isn't from CKTG I hope I cannot get in trouble, but I'm going to get some more info on this knife 9-1/2" Chef Knife (Wa Gyuto) - Yoshikane.

Page 4 of 9 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next