It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:45 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 9 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clad Knives
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:10 pm 

A couple more things I just realized I should have put in my do not want list - Made in the USA J style knives or knives that say Richmond or any other non-J name on them. I'm also not interested in knives built from Swiss steels unless there is a compelling reason for it.

I have to get going, but may have more to say later.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:55 pm 

What about this knife Takayuki Damascus Wa-Gyuto 240mm I do realize it is all stainless, but I understand that AEB-L steel is an exception Stainless that sharpens fairly easily, with good edge holding and it sure looks Kick @$$.

Also I guess I may as well open up my self to more stainless Wa-Gyuto options, but nothing with swiss steel please. So do you all have any stainless suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:10 pm 

TomWilson wrote:What about this knife Takayuki Damascus Wa-Gyuto 240mm I do realize it is all stainless, but I understand that AEB-L steel is an exception Stainless that sharpens fairly easily, with good edge holding and it sure looks Kick @$$.

Also I guess I may as well open up my self to more stainless Wa-Gyuto options, but nothing with swiss steel please. So do you all have any stainless suggestions.

I'm no steel guru, but I wasn't aware there was a lot of swiss steel being used in japanese stainless knives. If you meant Swedish steel, I think AEB-L is Swedish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:24 pm 

The Richmond AS laser is made in Japan and has japanese Kanji on the side.

Last edited by JourneymanDoug on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:27 pm 

ChipB wrote:I'm no steel guru, but I wasn't aware there was a lot of swiss steel being used in japanese stainless knives. If you meant Swedish steel, I think AEB-L is Swedish

Indeed, AEB-L is an Uddeholm product, which is Swedish. Even its Sandvik copy, 13C26, is Swedish. If having a Japanese steel is very important to you, you would want to look at the VG steels which are Takefu products, or Ginsan which is a Hitachi product, in terms of stainless. (There's also the AUS line, by Aichi.)

Personally, I would go your original route looking at stainless-clad carbon as opposed to all-stainless, all other things being equal. Of course this is the real world, and all other things are never equal. I can't comment on it in use, but if appearances are of great importance to you I feel I should note that the Itto-Ryu should largely match what you are looking for. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ithagy240.html Right size, price, not too delicate, with a hammer finish. It is carbon clad rather than stainless clad, so not a perfect Anryu replacement in that respect, but check it out. Here are some better pictures of the blade finish on these: itto-ryu-handle-upgrade-t7079.html.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:41 pm 

There is a reason Japanese knife makers use Swedish steel: because it is very pure and fine grained.
Excellent steel! Some of the best in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:44 pm 

+1 on the Itto-Ryu:
I have the 210 and it is surprisingly a really great cutter.
Handy size, good profile and little reactivity.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:47 pm 

Yeah, I would tend to care less about the steel on a first knife. I've ended up with a lot of carbon knives simply b/c the knives that I wanted happened to be made with carbon steel. In terms of performance, there are a lot of other factors that are going to have a bigger impact. I'd maybe take a step back and think about type of edge profile you prefer to cut with, where do you like the balance point of a knife to be, what sort of pattern you prefer, do you want a thicker, stiffer knife with a more convex grind, or a thinner laser-like knife? Some of those question can be answered by thinking about how you like to grip a knife, what cutting techniques you naturally like to use and what types of ingredients make up the bulk of your cooking work. From there, you should be able to get a good cross section of knives with different steels that meet your requirements. Then, you can begin to think about the merits of the steel/construction and voila! You have your knife.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:06 pm 

estayton: You are correct I miss stated this - I of course meant Swedish. Thank you for pointing out my error - I should have waited until I had more time and wasn't in a hurry.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:08 pm 

ChipB wrote- I'd maybe take a step back and think about type of edge profile you prefer to cut with, where do you like the balance point of a knife to be, what sort of pattern you prefer, do you want a thicker, stiffer knife with a more convex grind, or a thinner laser-like knife? Some of those question can be answered by thinking about how you like to grip a knife, what cutting techniques you naturally like to use and what types of ingredients make up the bulk of your cooking work.

For the Gyuto I want a truly general purpose knife. I very seldom cut thick skinned squash or other similar. However, I want it to be the first knife I pick up 90% of the time for any task whether it be plant or protein. The fact is I cook a lot of veg and protein and very few complex carbs. I cook nearly every day. I mostly use a chopping or slicing technique and seldom use a rocking technique and I use a pinch grip the majority of the time.

I also know that I am not currently interested in a Laser. Also one more thing I intend for this be my last knife purchase. I do not intend to become a collector - which is part of the reason why I also want to consider aesthetics, because I intending to have a till death do us part with whatever J knives I purchase.

I'm an untrained home cook, but my family and friends love my cooking - my specialties are southern style greens and slow smoked BBQ. When I'm not Fly Fishing on the weekends there are often people at my home for BBQ. I've considered taking cooking classes to up my game though. I realize the info in this paragraph may not be helpful in knife selection.

Page 3 of 9 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next