It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:59 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 9 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clad Knives
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:27 am 

Well wouldn't you know it my plan is to make my purchase Monday or Tuesday and the Anryu Hammered Gyuto 240mm is out of stock and I haven't been able find it anywhere else online.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:52 am 

You've got to jump on them when they're there, if wait you miss out! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:02 am 

Jeff B wrote:You've got to jump on them when they're there, if wait you miss out! ;)

Isn't that the truth. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:49 am 

Well as I've already commented the Anryu is out of stock is there another knife that would be nearly identical - not meaning the hammered finish, but performance wise and in semi-stainless clad that is $250 or less.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:57 am 

couldn't you just wait for more to come in?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:53 am 

I will jump on Melampus' bandwagon with Tanaka. While I do not have or use their gyuto, I do have the iron clad damascus 150mm petty, and it is a darling in my regular use knives. I use it professionally, and at home. I have sharpened it three times since I took ownership of it a month ago. Yes only a month, but I have spent literally hours cutting with it. It is magnificently light, and laser thin. It takes a wild edge, and holds it, and it's
mini gyuto" shape is incredibly versatile. Just tall enough to get your fingers off the board if thats how you choose to use it (it is a garnish machine) and still short enough for in hand work, I peel potatoes on the board at home, and I don't have to peel them at work, so in hand I have used it mostly for peeling onions, and doing katsuramuki cutting for fun. Its like a scalpel. Infinitely more useful than a western paring knife, and not overwhelmingly large. For most people, in fact, I think this could be their only decent knife, and they'd reach for it 90% of the time. (the people that cut their veggies with steak knives, or go at dicing onions with paring knives).

As for your gyuto I will recommend another knife I use every single day, the Richmond Laser in Aogami Super. AS is fantastic steel, it is ~HRC 63, so it could be chippy with poor technique, but you definitely don't have to baby the knife. Over the 4th of july weekend I cut half a dozen acorn squashes with it, without issue, and this last week I did roast butternut squash and sweet potatoes as part of a family dinner, and the knife had no problem with either ingredient. I do have good technique, and I never torque or twist my blades, but I think it would take some serious wrenching to do any real damage. I stabbed the knife into a cast iron pan in a sink, and chipped the tip off, but it was still only about a millimetre or mm and a half, I had the damage repaired within fifteen minutes, by taking the spine down a bit and reprofiling the tip of the knife. You could never tell it was ever damaged, in fact while I was at it, I made the tip sharper and pointier, and if anything it moved the balance point toward the handle a bit, which is great for me, because I have medium sized hands, but love big knives.

Im glad to see that you are going for a 240mm Gyuto. I think far too many people shy away thinking they don't need a bigger knife. Ideally I would have one of the richmond ultimatum 270's, which is way oversized, measuring in at 285mm a full 12" on the blade, and my 240. However, my next gyuto will be a high end 270, with a custom handle. The 240 is great for work, because it fits in my knife roll, and backpack, and our prep line only has about four and a half feet of clearance between it and the back wall of the restaurant, where all of the cooler and freezer doors are, and where the dishwashers do most of their running.

Anyway, except for the ductile iron cladding on the petty, which is fussy until you have a decent patina on it, make a big bowl of mirepoix, and jar some pasta sauce, it is a fantastic 150mm petty, and in my opinion if you are only going to have one petty, 150mm should be it, I think you'll find though, that you'll want more. I have four. 120, 150, 165, and 210mm, and I still want a fernandez tall petty, even though it would serve exactly the same roll as my very tall Kajiwara 120mm... :) Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:09 am 
Forum Moderator

TOM <> I will try to adjust to your new parameters. I don’t have much time.

I am not going to say much about the Goko because DAN & ESTAYTON, both describe her very well, but I do not agree on the point about having weight behind the edge like the Anryu. The Anryu I spent time with was 205 grams (reference page 9 of this thread) while the Goko I danced with was shy @195. I will say I had a lot of fun with her profile that is curiously similar to one of my most favorite knives, my Teruyasu, and it is by no means tall. These vary as they are made by a man… near a fire.. with a hammer, but their 52mm average is not considered tall for a 240 – getting there, but not particularly tall.

Full stainless 150 Wa-petty under $125 gets even more limited, but the Tanaka <--link would be my choice & the Takayuki <--link is another option at a $10 premium.

No frills Suji, assuming you now want SS, is the Artifex in awesome AEB-L <--link.

Stones: The Beston needs a looong soak, and I hate the stone overall… scratchy & sandy feeling w/sub par feedback... IMO. I far prefer the Latte <--link. The Bester is a badass. The Arishiyama I’ve never tried, but it’s beloved by many.

Another gyuto reco that you now specify as stainless-clad: I already told you about the Kohetsu that you had not replied about, good or bad, which I still think is more appropriate, but the AS Laser <--link I will picture below & is about your last option. The Tanaka VG-10 would be another, but IT IS tall @over 55mm.

For you though, I still vote for the iron-clad Sekiso (fully reactive). Force a patina & enjoy…

FYI: there are stainless-clad or reactive-clad designs at CKTG... there are no semi-stainless-clad. Semi-stainless are basically limited to the mono-steel Kono HD & Kikuichi TKC.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:37 pm 

Melampus wrote:... but I do not agree on the point about having weight behind the edge like the Anryu. The Anryu I spent time with was 225 grams while the Goko I danced with was far shy @195.

That's good to know. The W#1 is weighty among knives I use, but I haven't had an Anryu in person to compare with so I had to go based on posted/measured weights on the site. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:16 pm 

Weight variations on these hand made blades and handles can be different on the same model from the same maker. Just put my Anryu 240 on the scale and weighs 195 grms. My Goko 240 on the same scale weighs 195. The difference between Melampus 's Anryu sample and mine is 30 grams. The balance point on my Goko is slightly more blade forward than Anyru.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:29 pm 

I just checked too. Goko 194g, Anryu 196g. The Goko is more blade heavy. I am guessing that is why a lot of people report the Anryu "feeling" lighter and more nimble than the Anryu. I also just checked this for another thread, the Anryu is a bit more flexible at the tip, likely attributable to more thinness at the spine/distal taper. But it is a reminder hand made means variations, it is part of what makes these knives fun.

Page 2 of 9 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next