It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Clad knife, what happens when carbon edge is gone?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:00 pm 

We all know that that a carbon knife, that is clad in steel, has an exposed edge. Some exposed edges are greater than others depending on the knife. So what happens when there is barely any exposed carbon left? I understand that the core is carbon, so technically there will always be carbon on the very edge, but if your exposed part is now just the cladding, will it effect sharpening, cutting etc?

Post subject: Re: Clad knife, what happens when carbon edge is gone?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:16 pm 

If you mean the secondary bevel, then it depends on how the knife is. If the cladding goes really far down and the knife is really thin, then no. If you've sharpened it all the way to the cladding and the knife has become thick behind the edge, then yes. You'll need to thin out some of the cladding on both sides to restore some of the knife's function. This is all assuming that the cutting edge is still hagane.

I also forgot to mention that it affects sharpening in that the cladding will abrade at a different rate and have a different feel than the hagane.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:50 pm 

This is a close-up of the edge in question. While it is thin behind the edge, your comment about sharpening is what I was concerned about.
This is a pic of the edge in question.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/7019/oty5.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:33 pm 

emoclaus wrote:.
.... have a different feel than the hagane.

Had to google that. Amazing there's a specific word for that in Japanese. Kinda like Eskimo's and snow!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

You need to thin back the cladding as you sharpen if it's getting into the edge bevel area. Some knives have more core steel exposed (konosuke Fujiyama Blue), others have less, depending on the steepness of the grind and the thickness of the core.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:19 pm 

taz575 wrote:You need to thin back the cladding as you sharpen if it's getting into the edge bevel area.

I have no experience doing this. Is this something I could do on my own without screwing up the knife?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

L.A. - what specific knife is this?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:11 pm 

SteveG wrote:L.A. - what specific knife is this?

Anryu Hammered 210 Gyuto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:50 am 

All what Taz said. See it as
sharpening a pencil, you have
to remove some wood to free
the core. You don't want to
incorporate the soft clad steel
into your edge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:13 am 

Los Altos wrote:
taz575 wrote:You need to thin back the cladding as you sharpen if it's getting into the edge bevel area.

I have no experience doing this. Is this something I could do on my own without screwing up the knife?

Certainly doable. Since it's the secondary bevel (not the actual cutting edge), it's also more forgiving. Before you sharpen the edge, reduce the angle of the blade on the stone (making it flatter to the stone). The contact should be on the part of the blade behind the edge, not on the actual edge. If you've sharpened a lot, but haven't thinned it for a while, you might have to remove a good bit of metal (which will take off some of the cladding as well as thin behind the edge, which will result in better performance). Once you have done the thinning and restored the knife to its original geometry (or somewhat close to it), you can just do a little thinning each time you sharpen, before you sharpen the primary edge.

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next